gave my cat advantage...now what?

I gave my cat some Advantage yesterday afternoon. It is soooooo awesome seeing him NOT itch anymore. He napped very peacefully last night lol. I also saw a few fleas fall off him and suffer. I felt sadistic lol, but it was so cool! I know this topical solution won't magically kill every flea in the house, but I did see some jump on me while near the cat...I would have thought the fleas would all be dead by now? Unless they are new arrivals and didnt suck any blood yet? I havent seen him itching so I assume not. But what else can I do now? Vacuum the house really well (I always do)? Are home sprays worth it? I have a toddler. I tried the water and soap in a bowl trick but only saw one yesterday

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pets

• Does the cat stay inside? When the fleas jump on him they will die, so yeah stay on top of vacuuming, and you should be good.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes maam I know that....that is what i'm asking about! got the cat taken care of.....now what...I'd love some suggestions.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes he does stay indoors. I live in south georgia and fleas love this weather. they are everywhere outside and probably take a ride on our shoes or pants as we go indoors.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I've been wondering th esame thing! I spent $40 on Frontline flea treatment for the kittens we have. I put it on them over a week ago and still..I see fleas!! AHHH! Its not as bad as it was, it is better. But I'm going to go pick up my trusy flea spray today and start on the house. I think they are just still in the house. They still get on the kittens but it takes time for them to die from the flea treatment.
    UGH.Life with animals sometimes=Life with fleas, I guess. This time of year is HORRIBLE for them.
    Spray.Vacume.Repeat.
    Oh yeah..I also heard that if you put moth balls inside your vacume..any fleas you vacume up with be killed inside the bag and not just living on in vacume bag world,lol. But..it DOES make your house smell like old people,lol. So light a couple smell good candles too! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• see I have heard so many remedies you can put in a vacuum bag. but my vacuum is bagless lol.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You will have to set off a flea bomb, and then wash evreything in your home before you let your child touch. You might have to do this more than once. Also, there is a pill you can give the cat that kills the fleas of all stages. You might need that in addition to the advantage.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't jump to the flea bomb. We have had fleas here, too, once before. Keep vac everyday. take the couch apart and vac all the pieces, deep in crevices and under it too. do the same for all beds. whenever i try to catch buds in the soapy water, i stir in some sugar too. I don't know if it will help attrach fleas but it can't hurt!

the cat needs follow up treatments too, so mark the calendar and dont forget! you might need it year round in the south, but here in NY we stop treatments in the winter months.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it just takes time,you don' t just turn on your oven and expect it to be hot gotta give it time to spread.
    whitedove34

Answer by whitedove34 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2010