nap schedule

What kind of nap schedule is you 4 or 5 month old on?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 10:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the book - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child to help me figure this tricky question out. My 4.5 month old son takes 3 naps a day ranging from 1-2 hours. The book emphasizes that baby should wake up (or be woken up) at the same time every day in order to facilitate a schedule. My baby gets up at 7am. then the first nap is at 9am. The second nap is around 1, and the 3rd nap is around 4 or 5pm. Then baby should go to bed at the same time every night. The book suggests 6 or 7, but my baby was not having that, so he goes down at 9pm. This takes awhile to stick, but it eventually works. I'm not a crazy strict scheduler but I do think routine is important. In fact, there was an article in Time magazine a few weeks ago stating that babies/kids that follow a schedule handle things better. Who knew?
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have always been far too lazy to think 'schedule' particularly if it was me driving it. I found it simpler to let my babies sleep when they were tired and wake when they were rested.

I've known kids who thrived on one 4 hour nap a day, and others who napped off an on for 20 minutes or half an hour throughout the day. It matters that babies get enough rest, and it's their bodies that know how much, and when, that is.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am not saying what schedule do you force on your kids. I am just wondering how other babies this age sleep during the day. How long What time ect....
    rileymommy

Comment by rileymommy (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My babies took 3 naps around that age. The first was around 9:30 for 1 1/2-2 hours, then second was around 1 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the third was around 5:30 for about an hour. Bedtime was about 7:30 and they slept through until 7 in the morning. It was much easier for me to have them on a routine so I could run my errands, schedule my appointments, etc. at times that they wouldn't be hungry/tired.

Answer by missanc at 10:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Thaks ladies!! that is pretty much what my baby is doing. wake up 7-730 nap @ 9 for 30-45 min, nap @ 12 for 2.5 3 hours and bedtime 730/8:00
    rileymommy

Comment by rileymommy (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010