How would you feel?

If your rights were up for a vote by the people? How would you feel if a state told you that you couldn't marry the one you love, because it was illegal?

Asked by older at 10:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I would be hurt, and angry, and feel like my country didn't care about me or my rights as an individual.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Actually, Utah had a lot to do with proposition 8. The mormones there raised around 3.8 million to block gay marriage in California. We all know that money talks the loudest. Without that money from the Mormon church, proposition 8 never would have been...

To answer the question, i would move if i was not aloud to marry the one i love. I would not let a law made up by right wing Christian conservatives keep me from marrying the one I love. Religion should have nothing to do with homosexuals being aloud ot marry each other. It's not up to the church, but they sure do seem to make it that way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Laura970, and others who just don't get it--you are contradicting yourselves by saying that your god does not approve of gay marriage, and therefore it should be illegal. This is not a religious matter, it is a legal one. Sure, it's all well and good to say that if two people want to marry, they should go ahead and do it, whether or not it is legal. The point is, we want it to be legal. That is how the partners (who are just as committed to each other as you are to your own spouse) gain rights that are only granted to married couples. That is how they are able to be certain that the people who are most important to them will have visitation rights if they are hospitalized. That is how they are able to guarantee that they can leave their possessions to their loved ones when they die. These are legal rights that all married couples have, regardless of the state in which they live, and are recognized across state lines.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I know I would be devastated if anyone tried to keep me from the person I love.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• devilLeft you a bump I would be pissed and sad :( 

Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It wasn't a million years ago that it was illegal in this country for mixed races, or different religions to marry. Here, where there are still states where 13yos can legally marry.

I wouldn't think anything of it, if the courts would keep their noses out of what is essentially a private contract --but there are enacted benefits to the heterosexual partnership agreement which cannot be opted out of, that others cannot opt into. Next of kin and survirorship issues that even long-separated spouses can invoke.

Personally, I believe that the government has no place in the bedrooms of its citizens.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• ^^^ but THATS classy??^^ Seems your ideas of rude and crude only apply to one set of opinions :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Hello! How long have you people that oppose gay marriage been around? This issue has been in the forefront for quite sometime-the misinformation and questions have been answered-religion has nothing to do with basic human rights-our laws are not based on your religious beliefs. I can understand 20 or even 10 years ago if people did not understand the issue and how it pertains to rights but there is no reason to not understand that the laws of our country as not based on the religious beliefs of one group. I get that morally you think its wrong, I get its against your religion but that does not matter-your religion has no bearing on our laws. Gay marriage should never have been put up for a vote by the people. That was a dangerous precedent-imagine if we get a powerful group of minorities that decide that whites should not have the same rights as everyone else-they got it on the ballot CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, it seems the people of CA voted, against the choice but the judge overturned it.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• "nobody is being forced into something they do not tolerate"

Yes, we are. Every time this issue comes up, we are told that we need to accept this because we are intolerant and narrow-minded and just plain wrong. You are trying to force us to tolerate something that violates our ethics. You are being intolerant of our values.

"if you took the time to read the judges order, you would see tons of logical reasons."

I read the judge's order -- there are no logical reasons. He had made up his mind before he ever entered the courtroom and acted out of his own personal opinion. He did not rule with logic. He should have excused himself from the case since he knew he could not rule impartially.

"I would never in a million years try to change your mind"

Then why do you continue to make all these argumentative posts?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 14, 2010