How to wean? (long and venty)

DD3 is just too much. She's thirteen months old, and very stubborn. She doesn't want to have any nursing manners at all. She keeps kicking me and trying to do back flips and other assorted tumbles. Plus she wants to nurse every hour still. I'm getting frustrated and I want to stop.

To be fair to her, my milk supply may be down, because I've recently started dieting. (she's 13 months old, I'm not the only form of nutrition she gets. I'm tired of being the one that has to stay up with her when she's up till five am teething, and dh gets a pass. I'm exhausted, and irritated.

the other two self weaned, one at ten months and one at fifteen months. I have no idea how to get started, and she's not showing any signs of letting up, and I just can't take it any more. I've been either prego or breastfeeding for four years straight, and I want my body back.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. Teach her how to properly nurse.. If she doesnt lay down right take her off the breast & tell her No, laydown for (whatever nursing time is called).. she will eventually start laying right if she wants it!!
    2. If your ready to wean then start doing things to get mind off of it... When you see a que that shes comming for it- get up & do something. get her a healthy treat or drink of something.. Or just walk to another room...
    3. Take the time she nurses less or easiest to cut off & cut it out.. or let her nurse for less time..

Just do everything so that its a slow adjustment.. It wont happen over night & thats good for you & her! Your boobs wont hurt & she will slowly make the adjustment on her own.. And maybe even then u can cut nursing down to just night nursing so you dont feel so tied down to her... Or you could wean 100% :) .... Personally it took me about 1-2 months to fully wean. she was 20-22mo.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When she starts doing those things, say no & stop. Don't get angry & don't feed into her crankyness when you say no. LEt her cry & pout if she wants. This sounds horrible, but training children is not so different than training a dog. They learn what gets them attention & what does not, you just have to be persistant with your actions.

My DD was 2 when i weaned. She was old enough to understand words & so i told her that she drank all the milk & that it's all gone. She belived me & moved onto other things.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Is she drinking whole milk?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Start giving her a sippy cup of water with meals. Nurse only in a set place.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If you really want to wean you will have to start with her least favorite nursing session and have someone else give her a snack or a sippy cup of water or milk and after a few days you can start dropping other nursing sessions until you have stopped all together. This is the best way for her and you, so your milk can decrease gradually. Since, you are weaning it is better to not introduce a bottle or you will have to repeat this process all over again, but with the bottle.

She still might need a cup at night but you and your dh could alternate rocking her while she drank it that way you can each get some sleep.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i would think she's old enough to not need to eat in the middle of the night... its just habit at this point. i'd cut those feedings out first- she'll probably cry a couple nights but she'll get the idea.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have no advice on weaning, as I let my child self wean...
    But, when she starts acting out like that, are you firm with her? Pop her off and tell her if she is going to act like that she doesn't get to nurse.
    When she asks to nurse, distract her with something else.

I dunno...... good luck!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2010