can the car seat work without the base?

I'm flying to Hilton Head this week and was bringing my 5 month old son with his carseat on his stroller, and I'm wondering - can I somehow attach his carseat to my brother's car without using a base? Or do I have to bring a base as well?

jacksmom1225

Asked by jacksmom1225 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• u dont have to have the base not every car seat comes with a base u just put it in like u were puttin it in the base and put the seat over it where the spot is to make it stay
    honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• with the base it's safest but most car seat you can use the seat belt to buckle em in. try it at home before you go
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, you shuld be able to use it without the base. After several months, I stopped using our base because it was just taking up too much room in the car.You still put the seat rear facing, of course and there should be a place on the front of the carseat to put the lapbelt through.If your belts have the shoulder straps too...wrap the shoulder strap part around the seat. Play with it a little, you'll figure it out. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• my seat has a little ball that balances in the right spot when it's positioned correctly, and yes, you can use them without the base.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes they have these lil spots on top where you can put the seat belt
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I ended up not using the base after a while. My daughter got heavy enough where she could move herself to one side and she ended up tipping the whole thing over (yes it was strapped in tight and correctly because I have the carseat with the window to check as well). So after that day the base was never used again and she's been fine since.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It depends on how old the car is. I think most models after 2000, have these little attachments that you can use to hook your carseat (without a base), and then use the seat belt to fasten it in securely. Check the booklet that came with your carseat for more details, or contact the carseat manufacturer.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• This depends. What kind of car seat is it? I know that some, if not all, Evenflo infant seats can't be used WITHOUT a base. Best bet is to check your manual, and to double check with a tech in your area.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2010