Advice for flying/traveling with a baby?

My son is 5 months old and we're flying to our vacation this week. I'm a little nervous about traveling with him. Do you have any advice to make the trip go smoother?

jacksmom1225

Asked by jacksmom1225 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bring passy or something to suck on for take off and landing because babies don't know how to fix their ears when they pop (that's when most babies cry on a plane)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If tickets are purchased it may be too late for this - fly at night. I always flew alone with kids and had no problem as long as it was in the late evening or night. They just fell asleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, don't do what I did. We were going to be on an 8 hour flight so I had a few bottles with water in them so all I had to do was pour the pre-measured amount of formula in the bottles. Well, 2 of my leak proof bottles leaked and they soaked all of the diapers and clothes that I had in the bag. Also, you can check the stroller in at the gate that way you don't have to carry the baby plus a diaper bad and any other carry on that you may have. I would check the car seat in when you first arrive though. While the flight attendants are more than happy to arrange to have an extra seat beside you, it is not a guarantee. Overall, my flight experience with my son when he was an infant was quite pleasant. I flew with him when he was 5 months and again at 7 months.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• rotate holding the baby. binky. quiet new toy. warm bottle. comfy blanket. keep tummy full with rice cereral if your baby is on that yet. try to keep baby awake until you get on the plane.
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We flew with my son at 5 months too, and it went a whole lot smoother than I expected. We used a baby bjorn to carry him through the airport (less to lug around). I BF'ed him and changed his diaper right before boarding started, and brought something for him to drink while take-off and landing. Simulac sells these 2 ounce individual bottles of pre-mixed formula that was really handy (no refrigeration or mixing needed). His pacifier helped him fall asleep on the plane, and a little light blanket kept him warm and cozy. And bring lots of diapers and wipes (just incase). If you have a long flight, try using night-time diapers or one size bigger than he usually uses.

Make sure you have a change of clothes for the whole family in your carry-on! My niece got airsick once, and ended up vomiting all over my brother right after takeoff!!! :) Plastic bags to keep any dirty clothes/stuff in would also be handy.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• make sure you have all you need in baby bag...gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2010