Jumper or Exersaucer?

I want to get my 4 month old something that will be fun and will strenghten his leg muscles. I can't decide if I want to get him a jumper/jumperoo or an exersaucer/activity center. I was just wondering if anyone would suggest which would be better. I thought maybe the jumper because he seems to like to jump in his bouncer.

bbchic

Asked by bbchic at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Neither. They aren't good for kids development at any age. What's great for a 4 mo is to be held to develop neck and body strength or to be on the floor developing those muscles an getting ready to crawl.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Tummy time on the floor is all your child needs. Put the extra money in his college fund.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We bought a Fisher Price Jumperoo for our daughter and she loved it. It kept her active and smiling.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We have a doorway jumper which all 4 of my kids loved, and then we also have an exersaucer - it's still out waiting for my 5 week old to use when she gets older and my 21 month old still walks around it and plays with the toys on it. If you have a friend with either, or if you go to a church nursery that has either/both, you could let him try them out and see which, if either, he likes. Or you could always get one or both for cheap off of craigslist.

Answer by missanc at 10:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• LOL....I'm not laughing at YOU..its just..nevermind
    ANYWAY...I have a jumperoo and an excersaucer. I couldnt decide which one I wanted to get either so I went on craigslist and found BOTH of them used for a really really good price...I paid for two what I would have paid for one!
    I've used them both for well over a year now not only for my own dd but for other kids I babysit for too! They love it!
    I have to say that they all seem to like to stay in the excersaucer longer though..maybe becaus eit has so many more toys to play with than th ejumperoo.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My son liked the exersaucer better than the johnny jump-up. But both are easy to find used, so get both! You have some time anyway, 4 months old is too small for either of those things. They need to be able to fully sit on their own.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• With my daughter, we only had a jumperoo (the Fisher Price Rainforest one), and she loved it. With my son, we had it and a hand-me-down exersaucer, and he liked them both a lot. If he likes to jump, the jumperoo may be more fun, but I'd recommend getting one with toys around it (not an in-the-door jumper), so he can stand there and play with the toys if he doesn't feel like jumping.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 11:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• baby einstein discovery center, but i would limit your babies time in it
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i had both with my dd and she loved both of them .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have a jumperoo for my son that I had with my daughter, and they both loved the thing! I don't like the jumpers that you have to put into the door frames. Partly, I'm just paranoid, and don't like that fact that if they're not screwed in enough he can fall(yes I know, they're pretty safe, but it's just me being way too overprotective). And I like him having toys to play with if he doesn't want to jump. I can also move it around without having to unscrew it from a door frame and make holes in my frames all over. The exersaucers are good too, My mom has one for him and he likes it, he just doesn't get to use it very much.
    bethanysmom1007

Answer by bethanysmom1007 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2010