How do you feel about raising kids as vegetarians or vegans?

Specifically, a friend of mine has a son that was born very small, not preemie, just small and has grown up very underweight.

She is raising him as a vegetarian with limited dairy. Also she is not giving any sugars (processed, I guess) to him either. She is NOT on this diet and eats junk. The father is a vegetarian by choice but wasn't raised that way.

Do you think that kids should be offered all food groups (within reason) and choose what THEY want once they are older?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:56 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think that children should be exposed and allowed to make their own choices in some areas. Whether or not to eat meat is one of those decisions in which I think they should have a choice. I don't believe in pushing your beliefs on your children that far in that area. It's one thing if the child chooses it, but if they're forced, I think that's wrong.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think it's up to the parent and I see nothing wrong as long as the child is growing and thriving.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If she has a poor diet she may want better for her child. My DIL only eats bread and meat and she feeds my grandson all kinds of healthy food she doesn't even want to touch. Developmentally delayed children may HAVE to be fed by spoon at age 3. A vegitariarian diet can be healthy. There is nothing wrong with not giving kids sugar. Humans don't need cow's milk. It causes constipation, digestive problems, allergies, and other problems.

As long as the child isn't anemic and is getting enough vit B12 there is nothing wrong with a vegitarian diet. The mom may be following the fathers wishes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think they should, yes. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and she always says that when she goes to a function, such as a wedding or other get together, that she often can't eat what is served because since she hasn't had meat in so long it really upsets her stomach. Because of this, she makes sure to feed her daughters a little meat at least once/week so their bodies get used to it and it won't bother them should they ever go somewhere that meat is being served.

Answer by missanc at 10:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am fine with it as long as the parent is very well educated on what is needed for a growing child.

Answer by Bmat at 10:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not trying to be rude here. How do you know this child is behind? Also, not all kids are the same and my first born would NOT feed himself at the age 3.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• For me..us, I should say...we ARE meat eaters. But, I find it admirable for people that can eat as a vegetarian/vegan. But there is a proper way to do it in order to have a complete diet that includes everything a persons body needs.
    Is the child underweight because of this? Maybe you can find some books on feeding children a vegetarian diet for her at the library..maybe even make a couple dishes to bring over to them to get them started.
    If they dont get the idea, and the child is looking malnurourished, I might think about calling cps on them..for the childs sake..maybe they would be able to point them in th eright direction and open thier eyes that they are starving thier child.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yjirs no problem with kids growin gup vegiterian i was vegitarian a large portion of my life i think until i was pregnant. but you need to elarn how to eat as a vegitarian i mean your not going to just go and eat vegetables all the time you need supliments or to mix the food around so you get everythgin you need nuts are important eggd even though some people dont eat eggs either they they need something to supliment all the things they are not getting from it. specially for the LO they need to make sure they are taking vitamins they need to grow up properly,
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have no problem with it as long as the child gets good well-balanced nutrition. I personally think that's harder when you are vegetarian/vegan, but I don't fault anyone else for doing it, it's just not my thing. I know my own nutrition got a lot better once I had my son. Maybe your friend is making small changes in her own diet that you aren't noticing. Oh, and my child is underweight too, and he eats a really good well-balanced diet. It's hard to know what causes these things.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yeah, its the parent's decision... i prob wouldn't do it cause its a lot of work to be a vegetarian (I was for 10 years).... I do make vegetarian dinners at least once or twice a week though
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010