RIGHT HANDED OR LEFT

Maybe left, they say their smarter people? Two of my kids are left handed 1 is not. My S/O and I are not. So I asked my Mother and it was her Mother. Funny how the genes get passed down. The 2 that are left handed have quite a few traits that are the same, it just amazed me to see this as they grew up.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in

• Left handiness is a recessive gene. That means the child needs the gene FROM both parents in order to "be" left handed. Even though you are right handed you are carrying the left handed gene. You only need 1 right handed gene to be Right handed. This means that the children's father is also carrying the left handed gene and thus MUST have someone in his family that was left handed too.

Sometimes it's hard to find out "who" was left handed, especially if you are of European decent. There was a time being left handed was thought to be the sign of the devil. People honestly believed that if someone use their left hand they were a servant of the devil. My own mother is a natural born left handed person, but do to the cultural believes at the time she does everything with her right hand. As a infant, toddler, child, if she grabbed for a spoon, cup, etc with her left hand she was smacked. It was a very common practice at the time.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• right...
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 11:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• left
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Right...
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i'm a lefty!!! as far as I know, there are 2 lefties in my family tree. my grandfather was a lefty, but forced to learn right handed. He developed a stutter. Only thing I do right handed is play guitar.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am right. Hubby is left. Too early to tell what our son is, but he seems to use each hand for different things. He eats better with right, but throws lefty. I hope he is a lefty, only because hubby was ans so was his late father, and I think it would mean a lot to him if this was something he "passed down" from his dad who he misses so very much.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Our oldest is ambidextrous, he can use both hands for everything... His Great Grandpa was the same. Our other 2 are right handed... I have 2 sisters that are left handed, and I'm right handed... My Parents were both right handed. There were quite a few lefties in our family years ago but they went to Catholic school and they made them write with their right hand. They said using the left had something to do with the devil,lol.... Just goes to show most of the crap they spew in Church, is that, crap.... I think our boys are equally intelligent, just really different personalities, so right, left or otherwise, it is what it is...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I prefer both.
    Caitlin10081989

Answer by Caitlin10081989 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• right
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I was born a lefty but due to a broken left wrist in the 1st grade my teachers thought that was an excellent way to get me to use my right hand. So i do most everything now with my right hand but I am just as capable of doing it with my left! My husband is left handed. Only the future will tell if our future children will be left handed or not.
    jobberwocky

Answer by jobberwocky at 11:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2010