Need some Baptism advice, and tips and info please =)

So our baby girl is due in October, we want to get her baptized asap and was thinking around December. My sister is the godmother and she is in NY (i am in Florida) so she is wanting to book her tickets now...i am looking up some Catholic Churches but they are extremely strict with baptism. Like one parent HAS to be a registered, practicing member of that church and one Godparent has to be a registered member of a catholic church. But my sister and my brother (the godfather) doesn't really go to church. and the other thing is we have to call them 4 months in advance so we would have to call them now but i am not registered to a church and neither are the godparents. I just moved here a few months ago and didn't realize that would be a problem. So have you guys had issues with Baptism is there a similar denomination church that i can research that will be a little more lenient on the terms of baptism?

Linda_PF

Asked by Linda_PF at 11:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the catholic churches baptisms will all require you be a parish member and what you typed. I would try a christian nondenominational church and have a christening or dedication instead of a baptism if you arent able to meet the requirements of the catholic church. or just become a registered parishioner, its not hard, and the catholic church would welcome you. the 4 mo thing is what they would like, but i dont believe they would turn you away as long as you began attending now
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• the luthern church allows you to baptis but i belive you or or SO has to be registern in the luthern church but not sure the god parents do not however and it can be whom ever you choose. call the church and talk to the pastor they can give you more info. both me and my husband are luthern and my first was baptised a month after birth and i have yet to get my youngest baptised due to so much going on
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You might give the Methodist church a try. They will perform infant baptisms. Check out some in your area and give them a call.
    hepmommy

Answer by hepmommy at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i know one of the parents and one of the god parents have to be catholic.when i got my dd baptized my sister registered to the church and went to a couple services .and they let us go .you could always do a non deminational bapitism they are not as tought with things
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well, from my understanding the purpose of baptizing your child is saying that you are promising to raise them in that church and according to that faith. If you aren't a member of the church and don't intend to raise your child in that church then doing the baptism is just getting your baby wet IMO
    I know that's the stance that the Lutheran church takes, most others as well...
    If you do intend to become a member of that church then just post-pone the baptism a little longer until you meet their requirements.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The majority of churches of ANY denomination require the parents to be members of the church in order to baptize the children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If you were a member of a church in your previous location, they should be willing to send your papers- proof of membership- to the new church. My denomination accepts these and simply welcomes the new person into the church. If you weren't a member of a church in your old location, now is the time to become a member in your new location, and you'll be able to arrange the baptism then.

Answer by Bmat at 11:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Different parishes require different things. They want to know you are actually interested in the Catholic faith and not just baptism. I baptised my children at a different church then we regularly attended because I wanted my family at the baptism and we were going to be moving soon. The church my kids were baptised in asked for a letter from my church stating I was a member, they were fine with this.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When we baptized our daughter, it was explained to us that one of us had to be a member and practicing member of the church. My husband is not Catholic, but fully supports our DD being raised Catholic. The Godparents we chose were from another Catholic church, and really do not attend as often as we do, but they are good people and have been wonderful. At my parish, the couple doesn't necessarily need to be members. For instance, my husband and I can be Godparents because he supports it and has been through the baptism class although he wouldn't truly be a "Godfather" but a sponsor, and that will satisfy the requirement for baptism.
    Each parish is different. In my small Central Texas town, we have three different Catholic church, and all three have variations of the guidelines. The diocese sets the standard and each church I think emphasize what they feel is important.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• cont’d … But I do want to bring up a concern that I saw. Why are you trying to baptize your child in the Catholic faith if you can be persuaded into joining another denomination just based on their baptism restrictions? If you truly want your child to grow up with the Catholic religion, I would talk to your priest and explain the situation, or try to find another Catholic church that will.
    redmoonintexas