What would you do if your child comes home from a licensed babysitter and says spankin

My 16 month old daughter is developing fast with her vocabulary even though I speak a foreign language to her at home. She goes to a licensed daycare twice a week and las week came when I said no to her for doing something wrong, she says "spanking" and demonstrates with her index finger hitting the palm of her other hand. Do I discuss it with daycare provider or just report it and move my child from her care.

redzye

Asked by redzye at 11:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would ask the day care provider what happen and why she came home saying that
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Why would you "just report" something you don't even know to be true? You realize you could destroy someone's career by doing that? Maybe they were just teaching the kids methods of discipline, or maybe they were teaching the kids that to find out if any child had been abused? Seriously, talk to the daycare.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The first thing I would do is talk to the provider. She could just as easy have picked this up from another child or a parent even. But it is something which needs to be addressed if you don't agree with spanking or if you don't want your provider doing it. Beyond that it would be up to you whether or not to pull her out or something else.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think if she were being spanked that she'd pat her back end. Maybe the provider is smacking her hand and calling it a spank. or maybe the provide spanks her own child if the child is there. I'd ask her the provider.

Answer by Bmat at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You need to speak to the daycare provider and find out what happened. It is hard to say without talking to the provider to know what happened. Maybe it wasn't something she saw from the provider but another parent doing to their child. If it does turn out it was the provider you need to remove your daughter and reporter the provider to licensing.
    jobberwocky

Answer by jobberwocky at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i would go in and talk to them
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Talk to the provider first because it may be something she picked up from an older child. Either way, you should bring it to her attention because chances are your child isn't the only one that is bringing it home.
    If your provider does not give you a straight answer or your gut is telling you something is wrong, pull your daughter and report it. I think sometimes we, as parents, like to give our childcare provider the benefit of the doubt because we do not want to become "that" parent. But always trust your motherly instinct. God gave it to you for a reason!!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think discipline should have been one of you first questions when enrolling your child there.... Then you would know what her procedures are, and then can have a private talk with her. Lil ones like to talk about things that happen at home,and one of them could be talking about something their Mom or Dad did... Don't assume, get the facts before you ruin someones business... I hope it's nothing.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well she obviously learned it somewhere... she's not just making up the behavior out of her head so I'd talk to the childcare about it if you're not OK with them using that type of discipline
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with some of the others- she could have gotten this from all kinds of different sources. I would not report anyone without actual proof. Talk to the provider about it and go from there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010