Any advice for traveling with a 1 yr old?

DH and I will be flying in a few days with our 1 yr old for the first time, and we have a 1 hr layover in between. Does anyone have any helpful tips/suggestions for us?

I'm a little nervous that I'll forget to take something that I should be, etc...thanks!

mypreciousbabe

Asked by mypreciousbabe at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring snacks and books. Little portable toys to play with.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 11:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i flew to texas from philly when my oldest was one and she did very good i took snacks and drinks and toys and books .its good that you have a layover so the baby can get up and get moving for a lil bit .just try and keep him or her busy while on the flight
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I hear to have something for the child to suck on, such as a baby bottle, during take off, so their ears will pop as they should.

Answer by Bmat at 11:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Definitely bring something for your child to drink during takeoff and landing (to pop their ears). I would also bring a few snacks that you know they like - you never know if they will eat what's at the airport. Small, quiet, loved toys and books are great. Does your kid use a pacifier at all? Mine only does to sleep, but I'm not above letting him suck on his paci during stressful situations like air travel... and who know, it might help the little one sleep on the plane. Oh, and bring a little light blanket incase the plane is cold.

Here is a question to look up (sorry, I'm not sure what the answer is), but do you need to bring ID for the kid? I know I did not have to when he was under 12 months, but I'm not sure when we will have to start carrying his ID. Also, make sure whether the airline will let you pre-board. If not, you may want to just ask the folks at the gate is you can get on early.

Happy travels!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We did not have to have ID for my DD when we flew months ago. We took a few toys, coloring books, crayons, etc and fruit snacks were perfect when we were taking off and landing since she doesn't have a bottle or pacifier anymore. I also wrapped a few of her toys and left one end open so that security could look at them if they wanted. When she got bored, we took one out and let her open her 'present' (even though it was one of her own toys! lol)
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Good luck lol. I did the same but my traveled without my Husband, to be honest it was a terror.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010