Holy Grail

What do you think of the myths surrounding the Holy Grail? Are they purely fiction? Or does the grail exist? (IYO) And if so, what is it? A bejeweled cup of gold, a simply wooden bowl, or something entirely different??

What do YOU think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• well, i'm sure the stories came from something based in truth at some point but have become so wrapped in myth we may never know the real story (kind of like the King Arthur myths)
    It doesn't have any bearing on my faith or spirituality
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, there was a cup Christ drank out of for the last supper. It would've been plain, probably wood, and holds no special powers.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think they can make for fun fictional stories, but I don't think the actual Holy Grail will be found, even if it were I doubt anyone would know that's what it was. You never know though it could happen,

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I know it's a bit passe, but I think that the Davinci Code had it more right. I think it more of a code word for something a lot bigger than just a lame cup.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 11:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think it's a combination of a "code word' as gnovinger put it but that it isn't a physical item. It is more of an ideology. Sort of like "Enlightenment" with Buddhism. The "Holy Grail" is the pinnacle of Christ's teachings. Very few "find" it.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think it makes for great movies from Monty Python to Indiana Jones.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i've never seen the worlds largest ball of twine, but it exists! LOL! perhaps the holy grail really is hidden deep within a cave, guarded by rabbits. idk. i've never thought much about it, nor much about the shroud of turin. seriously, it could be myth, it could be code, it could be a cup a follower held as a memento of the last supper. for me, it doesn't make or break my spirituality. if it was an actual cup, and was found, i'd look at it as a mere artifact of history. (it wouldn't hold special meaning to me, is what i'm trying to say.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'd be interested in seeing any cup Jesus drank out of in the same way i am interested i seeing top hat Lincoln's wore. I think it's a novelty but i don't think it has any magic powers.

I suppose it could be the Truth, in which case, yeah...i hope we all find it someday.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oddly in The Last Supper painting by Da Vinci, the cup is missing. It's no where to be seen on the table. So I have to wonder why he did that? I believe the grail is magical in some way but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with Christianity. I think it's based on a far older story, IMO.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think it is a high possibility it exists, considering the Illuminati did. However whether it is big enough to blow religion out of the water or not is another story all together, though again possible. There are still stories whether the Illuminati still exists or not. I believe they do and are in hiding. However they may not and if they are not that would leave th holy grail lost, though that would not necessarily mean for good. There are stories about what it is, my favorite and the one I would love to see is the certificate of Jesus Christ marriage to Mary of Magnaline, as well as proof of a child and existing linage. That would be really cool. Then there are stories of a chalice, not so cool in my book, but hey. However all of these stories are said to have extra missing books of the bible other than what we know.
    So yes I believe it exists, I do not know what it is but have my hopes.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2010