Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do I do the child support custody thing?

My ex and I decided to go through the court system to do child support and custody. What do we do? Do I have to hire a lawyer? I want him to be able to see her as much as he can and I just want everything to be fair. I want primary custody though. I've never done this before and I'm not sure how to get the process started. Where do I go? What do I do?


Asked by gottalovemal at 11:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Relationships

Level 17 (3,311 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You go to your the child support office in your city/county, they'll tell you what to do and handle most of it. Usually you do not need a lawyer.

    Answer by Deathlilly at 11:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • Child custody and child support are two seperate issues.. You should get an attorney to have it all worked out.. IMO anyway. I went though it, and having an attorney helped a lot.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • you can just go up to the court house and they should schudule you guys to talk to a probation officer to see you the two of you can come up with some agree ment before you go in front of a judge if you two can not then they will make an actually court date to go see a judge

    Answer by britme1027 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • You can find out a lot of info online. You should be able to find child support guidelines for your state and custody and visitation guidelines. You want to have support taken from the father's pay and put into your bank so the two of you never have to talk about money.

    What many states do is have joint custody for making decisions and one parent has physical custody and the other parent visitation. Some states do things like one week and one parents the next at the others. If the father gets a lawyer then you will need a lawyer. He could get custody and you could have to pay support.

    There is no fair.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • For custody I would use a lawyer just so nothing is missed. The child support can be settled @ the county child support office or a lawyer.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • you do not necessarily need a lawyer. When my exh & I split up, we went to the court, saw the court mediator, they drew up a custody agreement that we both agreed on. If you guys can not agree, then you will may need lawyers. google child support for your state & they can direct you from there.

    Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • check to see if they have a self help center within the family law division of where you go, they can help you fill out all the paperwork, if you and your ex are in agreement with most issues its pretty easy to work out, they usually send you to mediation and try to work it all out there, and if not then you go in front of a judge.

    Answer by kyuteangl88 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

  • i dont have much to say just good luck i hope everything works out for the both of you

    Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010