How do you teach your child/children about being a parent?

Is it enough just to hope they learn from you parenting them?

I feel that children having siblings or at least being a part of a large extended family is very important in learning to become a parent. Lately it seems that large families are under attack, but it seems to me the almost annihilation of the large family is why the American family is almost non-existent. Its been my observation that we are putting children out into the world with no experience in caring for children. Probably, the most important job they will ever have. For example, I just recently an adult friend just had her first child and was totally clueless as to how to do anything for that baby. My 14 year old daughter actually taught her how to take care of cradle cap. She asked my daughter where she learned that and she said I saw my mom do this with my sister and little brother. So I feel that children should be exposed to all aspects of parenti

lori232

Asked by lori232 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Our 14 yr old said he doesn't want children... lol He has 2 younger brothers, and it's a constant battle. So I guess he's learning it's a PIA to be a parent when all they do is fight.... I don't think family size makes a difference, it's all in the individual.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i agree children should be around it and taught by what they see but at the time i dont think that we as moms should expect the older kids to take care of our younger kids not saying that you are doing this just a thought . they can help and stuff but not be expected .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have my oldest boy help some, he is 12 so he is old enough. I do think that some of the parenting things just need to wait untill they have kids of their own.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 11:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2010

• my older kids just pitch in and help. they learn very quickly from watching you. and i think its important for all young children to have baby dolls. it teaches them to be nurturing. my baby is 14 months and she understands when she is holding her baby doll by its leg and i say ouch that hurts your baby, she turns her around and cuddles her, its verycute.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You can easily figue out things like what to do for cradle cap. The most important things we teach our children is how to treat other human beings. That's why it's so important not to base parenting on punishment but to treat your kids how you would like to be treated. One of my children is now a parent and things like extended breastfeeding, the family bed, and attachment parenting have come easily for him and his wife even though that's not how she was raised. It's so wonderful to have my grandchild being raised the way I want him being raised. It makes it easy to care for him and for him to go from him home to my home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Until my daughter grew out of her "rebellious" stage and trusted that I wasn't just telling her things to be a nag, she started understanding more about what it has been like for me. She started "getting" it when she turned 15. She was grounded and saw what I do on a "typical" day (that I didn't work). She was amazed at how much I got done in such little time. She also realized that I stopped what I was doing several times that day to talk to her - sometimes about absolutely nothing. Then, a friend of hers was having a hard time at home. My daughter was calling the friend 3 or 4 times a day which the friend appreciated but finally told my daughter she didn't need "mothered". I laughed! My daughter said she better understood that, when you care about someone that much, your goal is to help them not to feel alone and to comfort them. Each child reaches the stage at different times. There is no "perfect" answer.
    Mercury525

Answer by Mercury525 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Children learn by seeing and doing. The tasks you have to do (bathing/feeding/changing/etc.) are only part of being a parent, and you can pick up a book to learn that. Teaching them how to nurture, love, and discipline are things they are going to pick up naturally from their parents.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Practice what you preach and set a good example!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Practice what you preach and teach basic skills. Cleaning cooking, etc. Teach them responsibility, and discipline/
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010