Is there something not harsh, maybe natural to give my 5 yr old for constipation? adult content

She has had this problem for a long time. She doesn't go everyday, and when she does, it is hard for her. Many times she has 'smears' in her underwear, where she has tried to go, but it doesn't come out. I have tried limiting milk and giving her a lot of fruit. It doesn't seem to work that well. Do you know of anything I could give her, to ease it. I don't want her to have to run to the bathroom, like with a laxative. I just want her to have a smoother time, and be able to go regularly with ease. She needs to stop going in her undies. I feel so bad for her! Any suggestions?

Allie428

Asked by Allie428 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she like fig newtons? Those will work. I know from experience, lol. Prune juice also works, and you don't need much of it. I have heard you need to warm it up first to make it work better. I know they gave me little cups of warm prune juice when i was in trhe hospital after my c-section.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My daughter suffered with constipation for years and all the methods that our mainstream doc suggested (more fruit/veggies, more fiber, more water ... ), well, we were already doing it all and it wasn't helping one bit. Our DAN! doctor suggested a magnesium supplement and it worked wonders. It is now 2 years later and she is still on a maintenance dosage.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Prunes? If she is really having that bad of an issue going, then she needs to be seen by a doctor. My cousin and my son had this problem and both the doctors said that the bowels could perforate from the strain of trying to go and from the hard BM.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i use prune juice or apple juice for my daughter who is boarderline lactose intollerent
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 12:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I always use miralax...you can buy it at walmart and my kids doctor said I should try it. It works great!
    carolinagurl20

Answer by carolinagurl20 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• juice
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Probiotics - they're for intenstinal health, they help soften/loosen constipation and help firm up diarrhea. Used daily they help keep a person regular and also help with appetite. My son couldn't poop when he was a baby - he had nothing wrong with him causing it. We started a probiotic a day at 3 weeks (doctor didn't want to give him meds but was fine with probiotic) and as long as he got it all he was fine - if we missed a day due to running out or something he was miserable for a couple of days.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Fiberous foods are great (pears, prunes, sweet potatoes, etc.) but if she won't eat enough of that to make a difference, ask your doctor about Benefiber. It should be perfectly safe for a 5 year old since our pediatrician okay'd it for my 12 month old. And it's just a way to get more natural fiber in your diet (and really it does not change the taste or consistency of a drink or food).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Where do I get that 4time-mom?
    Allie428

Comment by Allie428 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The thing is, i give her a lot of fruits and vegtables. I always use whole grains also. So the dietary stuff only helps a little. She has problems even when I try cutting down on her dairy.
    Allie428

Comment by Allie428 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010