What about breakfast?

Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I push push push my children to eat.

I have a 3 & 4 year old who just seem not to be hungry first thing in the morning. They will have juice but everything I put in front of them pretty much goes to waste after a spoonful or 2.

Any helpful hints? Does anyone else here have the same issue? Thank you for your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I let my 2 1/2 year old son eat when he's hungry. Sometimes it won't be until an hour or so after he wakes up. I make a plate of things he can eat himself like sliced fresh fruit, cheerios, peanut butter waffles, etc, and put it somewhere he can get to it when he's ready. I don't think it's healthy to force children to eat. It's not a good habit to eat when you aren't hungry.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• My oldest doesn't mind eating breakfast, but my youngest hates to eat in the morning. I usually offer them both some Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning. Even if they only drink that, at least it's a little bit of protein and calcium before school. If they will eat something like a banana or yogurt, that's even better. My oldest actually likes to eat a peanut butter sandwich before school. I don't ever give the kids juice.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not a breakfast person, never have been. When my kids don't want breakfast, I just wait until they do want something. Normally about an hour after they wake up.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Stop giving them juice tell AFTER they eat. Before and during meals give them water. They are probably filling up on juice.

Answer by louise2 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We don't do breakfast immedaitely after waking up. My kids don't even want to drink in the morning. After being up for about an hour they're ready to eat, and they eat well. During school we push them a bit more, but once school starts they start waking up earlier and earlier anyway, so it's not a huge deal. During school, eating breakfast is the last thing they do before leaving. And don't let them have more than 4oz of juice - just enough to start rehydrating, then food, then all the drinks they want after breakfast.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have to agree with Louise. If they are drinking juice (something that many pediatricians frown upon, anyway), they might be too full to eat what you offer them for breakfast.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My 10 year old isn't hungry in the morning, and never really has been. I make him drink at least half a glass of juice, to get some sugar in his body. Last year at school, his lunchtime was at 10:40, so I knew he wasn't going that long without eating. I wouldn't push the breakfast thing at their age - have you tried filling in with a midmorning healthy snack? Maybe they just need some time to wake up.

Answer by missanc at 4:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• most of my kids don't like to eat first thing in the morning either. if it is not the juice filling them up, it is likely the sugar. every few weeks we let the kids have hot chocolate in the morning (why not? we have our coffee!) any how, on those mornings the kids can do a very late breakfast. i believe it is the sugar.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am in no way a breakfast person either, but i'm starting to eat it more often to show my son that breakfast is important. I think Aiden's getting to the picky stage right now because lately nothing i fix is good enough for him for his breakfast. I've lately been bringing him to the pantry in the morning and i ask him what would you like to eat for breakfast? and i let him pick on his own. The past few days, he's been wanting froot loops, so i give him a small bowl of it with some milk and a banana on the side.

Try letting your little one pick on their own as long as its a breakfast food! no cookies or chips, lol.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 5:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My kids and I aren't breakfast people. I always offer it but when they don't eat it I fix an early lunch. They get 1 cup of juice a day. There's nothing wrong with that at all. My kids brush their teeth, get the appropriate amount of milk a day, and the rest is water. I don't see anything wrong with juice at all. In fact its healthy for their bodies just not all day long. ;)
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 6:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010