Being a Daughter-In-Law and a Mother-In-Law

I've been both, and sadly I've been stung by both. My MIL was not only miserable to me, marrying her only child, she was miserable to my kids. I would listen to her quietly tell me what to do, no back talk, and when she would leave, I 'd just do what I wanted. She would lie to them and throw things at them. So needless to say, I learned to stay away.Not her son her the kids, just me. So now I have a DIL, thinking I'd learned what NOT to be or do. Never never gave advise to her or my son. Once she asked and didn't like the answer, and I did say, '"You did ask." Needless to say, we don't get along much, do to other problems too long to get into, but how have your relationships been, esp. if you've been both? I really wanted to get along, and it does sadden me, but she is unable to talk to or make amends at this point.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• With todays kids our kids they know it all so when you give advice whether they want it or not they want it to be what they want to hear. I have been both sadly my MIL has passed and I will never get that chance to just ask her advice. With my ex'z mom she gave it all the time I did what I wanted most of the time sometimes she had good advice. With my kids if they ask I tell if they don't I don't regarless of what they are doing. I raised my family and did things how I wanted and I know that they are too whether I like it or not.
    I hope for your sake that someday she will regret what she has done. I don't have any other advice I'm sorry -(
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I stay away from anyone my son sees. For some reason he finds psychos. Just let them be. They will work out their own issues and if she asks again for your opinion just tell her it's best she figure it out for herself.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't have any real advice since my oldest is only 13 however maybe when she asks for your advice first ask her what she thinks and then go from there - KWIM? Call her and ask how she is doing. My MIL never does that. Hugs!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2010