Mosquitos!!!

i need so help as to what i can do about these pesky creatures! they are biting like crazy even the dog is miserable! i have tried the cutter yard spray cutter bug spray (which works better than Off!) there is no standing water anywhere in the yard but they are still going crazy. any ideas??

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use the OFF fans too, In Indiana. They work. Also, I have googled it and taking B1 is supposed to make you not smell good to them. I give it to my daughter, because she gets bit the most. Good luck
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Move to the Arizona desert. I haven't seen one this year! Some places in AZ do have problems but not where I live. There is no grass or standing water in my urban neighborhood. Just dirt and rocks.

Just kidding! There are no fireflies. I miss the fireflies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• is it humid in your area? cant do much about that lol. I heard they hate cold, so take a cold shower or cool yourself off before heading outside, I heard they hate citrus, so maybe drink some ice water with lemon....surround the yard with lemongrass and rosemary herbs....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i wont go to arizona if my life depended on it no offense Gailll i just think the desert is ugly and i cant stand things with thorns and biting ants.
    yes we are in upper michigan and this year it has been extremely humid with lots of rain and been a banner year for mosquitos because of how wet it has been. usually they die off after the first good frost but that wont come for at least another month. i have heard of a mosqito plant working and also lemon grass which the local nursery doesnt have right now and is going to see about getting some next year but im at a loss for right now. does bug zappers work well?
    i would think living here all this time i would know what to do but they have never been this bad for me to think of it.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Believe it or not, those OFF personal Mosquito repel systems - you wear it and its got batteries with a fan and a pad that goes in it with repellent......they work. The problem isn't just your yard, but the others around you and any even SLOW moving water around you. Anyone near you with a kiddie pool - standing water - will produce lots of mosquitoes and then they go ANYWHERE there is FOOD....
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yea im the food.ill have to give those repel things a try. thanks
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The best thing you can do is prevention.  Mosquitoes do not wander far from where they hatch and they hatch in water.  Make sure you don't have any standing water around your property in the spring and it doesn't take much.  If you live near water then the only way is to move.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Have someone spray your yard with Asana. It's safe to spray around kids & pets, we just keep our kids out of the yard for a day after spraying anyway. The only downside to it is the more rain you have, the more often you have to have it reapplied. I know the feeling though, we're in the midwest, we've had tons of flooding in our area, and we have more mosquitos than ever before. We just stay inside most of the day.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• thanks ill have to try the b1 for my kids they get bit the most and ill try the asana if i can find it.
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010