Walking

My 10 month old DD has been taking steps since she turned 9 months. She can already get into the standing position by herself without holding anything and squat but she won't take more than 2-3 steps without getting scared and dropping down.

Is there anything I can do to ease her fear and help her get on the move with it? She seems like she really wants to but she gets so scared.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try and sit in front of her and hold something she may want in front of her just far enough away to make her have to walk towards it. We did it with both my kids and they were walking in no time!!
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Let her go at her own pace. She will be walking very soon on her own.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• just continue to let her have floor time and ample opportunity to go. She will get it in time. My son would do like her, but, he wouldn't just walk until he was 14 months. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Get a jump rope hold her hands then slowly slip the handles in her hands and guide her with the rope eventually you can give her alittle slack at a time as she gets confident with herself. She is already advance at her age... Good Job baby girl!!!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Sounds totally normal for a baby of any age first walking. My son was 17 months before he walked and he was the same way for a few days. My girls all walked around a year and yep, same thing for all of them. Nothing you try will really help, other than giving her time.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would say let her on her own pace as well, but encourage and praise her. trust me you dont want to ( and usually can't) force these things!! enjoy enjoy enjoy because it goes by FAST!!!!!!!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• get her push toys that she walks behind she will love them and soon be all over the place. Let her push her baby doll around things like that.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• let her go, Mama, she'll be tearing circles around you soon enough!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• She's still pretty young. She'll walk more and more once she learns how to balance herself.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Shes still young. My son would take up to like 8 steps at a time at 9 months but wouldnt walk more than that until 10 months when he started to walk as much as he crawled. He didnt walk everywhere and not crawl anymore until almost 11 months. When they start early like that it takes longer to learn to fully do it and build the confidence. Shell get it soon. Its still early :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010