2 year old is a biter

My almost 2 year old dd is a biter. I had thought that we had broken her of it a while back but she picked it up again. Before the victim was myself and one of her friends. Her friend started biting back and now my dd doesn't bite her anymore. Around the same time she stopped biting me. But now she has picked out one of her cousins as a victim. He doesn't respond when she does it so we don't know when exactly she does it. We just find bite marks later. But the issue is putting some strain between me and his mom, my sil. I don't know what to do about it. I smack her when I catch her biting but we don't always catch her in the act. I tried biting her but she thinks its a game. She doesn't understand timeouts. I'm running out of ideas and am willing to listen to anyone elses success stories.

AmberBrat

Asked by AmberBrat at 1:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried giving her a reward for things she does good and put her in a room by herself with nothing in it, that might help, my best friend had to do that with her almost 3 year old, she calls the room the timeout room.
    teddybear3163

Answer by teddybear3163 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Have you tried ignoring it? They do a lot of things that are inappropriate just to get a reaction........ I'm sure biting is just a phase. At least she isn't screaming... LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• IDK, but if you figure it out I'd LOVE to know. My son just turned 2 and is a biter, mostly just his sister. She was also a biter at the age. Wish I were more help.
    mama2my2girls

Answer by mama2my2girls at 1:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• An adult should be with her to anticipate the biting and redirect her. The adults have to be more diligent when one child has a problem such as this. She is probably frustrated in some way before she bites. Friends of ours had a biter and they would sit on the floor with the child when there was a group of children so they could supervise and see what is happening. They did not punish the child but were able to see what frustrated her and could redirect her, plus saying "no biting". Children this young need more supervision when in a group of children. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Molly it playing with Dave. She wants wants to play with the truck but Dave is playing with it. Molly is basically a good girl and doesn't do anything for awhile. Then out come the teeth. You may be able to pick up on the tension that is building because Dave has what Molly wants and find a toy for Molly or bring her near you so you can keep her from biting. If she does start to bite it can be effective to dramatically swoop in and move her and say people aren't for biting. Say you are sorry to Dave that he got bit but don't lecture Molly, remember lectures don't work and she has no true empathy even if she is a nice little girl. Now you need to solve the situation that caused the biting or come up with another alternative like leaving.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Don't bite and don't hit! What kind of example does that set? You don't want to "break" children.

Toddlers that bite need to be watched. There are usually warnings that a child is about to bite. When you see a situation building, change the situation. Move the child. Feed the child. Go home. Usually kids bite when stressed. Imagine that!

People that have unreasonable expectations for their children describe their age as almost (whatever). Your child is 1 and doesn't know what empathy is and lectures don't work. Many adults don't have empathy you can't expect a 1 yo to have empathy. You need to make expectations simple, no biting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010