How do I start a routine/schedule?

I have 4 kids and have never been very routine or sceduled. Things change so much here depending on when hubby works. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me on getting one going better. My kids are 9, almost 4, 2 and 6.5 month old.

mama2my2girls

Asked by mama2my2girls at 1:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I actually wrote one up... It's not a strict schedule, but I do use it as a general guide...

I started just by writing down all the things that we do on a daily basis. Those things which are timed (school, naptime) I make a note of and placed them where they needed to be, then i filled in around them. If you have a schedule with changes from day to day, do one for each day of the week and just reuse them... That's how we do because each day is different.

Good Luck

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with the above posters, I have 3 kids and a 4th on the way and schedueling things is pretty difficult as we all have varying needs. Just write down what has a set time and stick with it, meals and nap times are in a window of time, like lunch can start anywhere between 11:30 and 12:30, nap time/homework for older children is usually taking place no later than 1:30 but as close to 1 as possible.
    DH works shift's and his schedule is often difficult to work with as he also works 12 hr shift's. I feel for you and struggle along with you, good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with what SabrinaMBowen said. Have a set time for getting up and going to bed. Try to keep them as much as you can.
    I found a set time for breakfast worked,then have older children clean there room,make bed,pick up toys,get dressed and then go what you would do every day. Just try to keep it about the same even if you have different things everyday. Like nap time same every day, bath time ,school work and so on. I think once you get going you and the child will like it much better.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• well you can write 1 up that is convient for you & stick to it & if your kids help you with they can get rewarded for helping you
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yep, that Sabrina's a smart girl...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010