Pagan vs pagan

Can someone explain to me the difference between Pagan (capital P) and pagan (lowercase p)... I know one is religious, what's the other...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There really isn't one. I personally try to make a distinction, using the capital to refer to someone who is explicitly Eclectic Pagan and the little p when it's just a generic adjective for anyone or anything that isn't Jewish, Christian or Muslim. Not everyone uses it that way. Some always capitalize and some never do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I THINK what you are asking about is the difference between Pagans who follow a Pagan religion and pagan as a refrence to those who lived prior to the founding of the Christian church. Generally, they are one in the same, those pagans, or country dwellers, from before the popularization of Christianity, did generally have Pagan beliefs, so they are one in the same...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Honestly, I never really thought about it. Helf the time I don't even think about whether I use captial p or not. I guess it just depends. I, personally, don't really see a difference.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think sabrina got this. Yeah pagan is refereed to any one not Christian in an attempt of being rude. Pagan is more the religion.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• There isn't really a difference.. Paganism isn't a religion.. It's a polythiestic belief system.. There are pagan religions like Wicca, but paganism itself is more of a lifestyle than a religion.. A religion is based on rules and works, a lifestyle or belief system is built more on belief, emotion, relationship, and devotion, if that makes sense..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 10:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i am pagan and not a polytheist. i see this response repeatedly on these boards and it is not an accurate description of all pagans. my spiritual path has a rich tradition of "rules" and works, and therefore falls into RenRen's def of religion - also I feel like a true follower of any religion has a lifestyle that is congruous with it. Mine is. That said, I have no idea how to answer your question :-)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2010