How do you find the time to breastfeed?

I really want to breastfeed my newborn and always planned to but to feed or pump every 2 hours!? That's just impossible for me. I'd never sleep or get anything done. People say housework can wait, but no it really can't. My husband works 60 hours a week and we have no family that lives in the state. How do moms do it?? It's way more time consuming than I'd ever imagined.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby comes first. The rest HAS to wait. No one ever had "World's Best Housekeeper" put on her gravestone.

Get a SLING. Next to the car seat, it is THE most important piece of baby equipment you can own.

If you MUST do housework, use the flylady method. 15 minutes for any task, and housework done incorrectly still blesses the family. No one is really inspecting your floor. Let it go.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I breastfed my youngest and I have twins that are 4 years old and a husband that is deployed and I just made the time. It was hard but I did it. Usually I would wait till the baby went to sleep then I would do the normal house hold chores. I did most of my house work at night while all my kids where sleeping. I also would put her in her bouncy chair and would put her where ever I was at while I did some house work and that worked too. I breastfed my youngest to like 14 months and then weened her. I only quit 4 months ago. I must say I get a lot more done now then I did before but I am so glad I chose to breastfeed her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i pump every 2 hours, and still do, my son is 3 months old, and when they are new borns, things have to wait... they are relying upon you to feed them. But when they are new borns, they also dont eat as much as a one month, or a two month, as the start to sleep more, thats when you increase the feedings, and the naps get a bit longer, there fore you can get stuff done, but the first month, is pretty much alll them and no house work. I have a schedule, 11pm bed, 4 am i get up and pump, then back to bed, then get up when my bf does, at 6, if baby is still sleeping i will pump, and then he wakes up then i nurse.. we feed about every 2-4 hours.. sometimes he nurses longer, and gets more, sometimes less.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• even though my son goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps til about 6-7am he still loves his nap at around 10, and sleeps for an hour, do you know how much house work you can get done in an hour.. ive gotten it down to loadsof laundry, balancing a check book, time online, granted, the clothes get piled on the bed, so when my bf comes home he can help me fold them.. he is a UPS driver, and works 60 hours a week, but he still helps out, cause he knows that it can get pretty crazy around here for with a newborn.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• With the great answers already listed, I feel you got some great encouragement here! Not much more I can add. Maybe: look at the glass half full!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• What I did with both of my kids when they were little ~ I pumped AND fed! While the baby is nursing on one side, pump the other. That way on the occassions when you cannot pump, you already have a reserve. I would hate to see a mom who WANTS to breastfeed not due to time constraints. Feeding a baby with formula takes time also. I did not formula feed, but I would think that formula would take longer (granted they are fuller longer) bc you have to prepare it, heat it, and then wait for them to drink the bottle. With breast milk, it's already "prepared"! And if anything, do both - breast and formula! The benefits of breastmilk are too great to not do it if you can and especially want to! If you are a first time mom, then like everything else, it will get easier. I know you are probably sick of hearing that, but it truly does. Good Luck!
    koreanmomma

Answer by koreanmomma at 8:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Let some of the house work go, and your husband will have to do some of the work also... he might be working 60 hours/ week but you are working 24/7 with that baby. Taking care of a baby is WAY harder than working I think.
    Stick with it... as your baby gets older he will spread out how often he is eating and get on more of a schedual you can plan your day around to get things done.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Make a priority list of housework, what absolutely has to be done, and only do the ones that the world will end if they aren't done everyday. Set day for laundry, not everyday, set days for dishes, lik every others, FEED that baby first and during. A newborn eats more often and it will back off in about 6-8 weeks and become so easy. Bottles and pumping now will just make life harder and worse on you. Get a sling or Moby wrap and carry your baby when doing housework. Mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing, details all can wait. It'll be ok. A messy but liveable house is better than an unhappy unhealthy kid!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2008