• In the Spotlight:

question about bringing a baby camping

Well school is about to start up for me again so my husband and I wanted to do something next weekend together before all craziness happens. Well our daughter is ten months old and we have no sitter so we were thinking about taking her. We would be in a big tent with a matress. Do you think its a bad idea?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bring plenty of towels. A carrier is helpful if you are hiking. Accept that messiness happens. You'll have a blast!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Make sure it's not going to be too hot when you are camping.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My son went tent camping at 9 and 10 months...no issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It should be fine, just make sure you dress her according to the temp. Take extra wipes and clothes for her and have a good time.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 1:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We brought babies camping. A mattress in a big tent is fine, I would make sure the baby has a hat and sleeps with you, so she doesn't get too cold. Bring a playpen for when you are cooking or doing things when you can't chase her.
    Have fun!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i took my both kids camping since they were only a few weeks old and we all have a blast. the kids love being able to see new things and play in the grass or mud or water. just bring plenty of diapers and drinking water and snacks. also since you are in a big tent consider bring the play pen for her to sleep in. bring blankets of course and extra clothes. and dont worry about getting dirty or the baby dirty a dirty baby is a happy baby. just remember you can clean everything once you get home. bring sunscreen and bug spray and hats.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• we took our first dd camping when she was about 10 months old and it was fine, the playpen fit in the tent, only thing was it wasen't so relaxing. Our second dd was only 3 months old on her first camping trip, she got the title of the youngest camper at the park we were at. It was fine, I was bfing so it was even easier.
    It is a great idea to take the kids camping I'm just sorry we waited till ds was 2 before taking him. The kids love it!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I took my playpen when i took my babies camping. I had room in the tent to set up the playpen.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Take the baby you will all have a great time. Might want to take a play pen for sleeping and play time.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I took all of my kids camping. The youngest was 4 months old. We camped with our 10 month old back in May. She loved it! She still nurses during the night so I just tucked her right into my sleeping bag with me. It got pretty cold during the night so that worked out well.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2010