so do those who seem to think they own marriage

propose to tell OTHER churches that they cannot marry gay couples? I keep seeing posts about how marriage should be left to the religious, but what about the religions who have no problem with gay marriage?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 1:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Once again, I've said this many times. My religious beliefs support homosexuality and homosexual marriage. And in a land where we are supposed to have freedom of religion - limiting my ability to wed whom I choose in accordance with MY religious beliefs simply because of YOUR religious beliefs is both discrimination and illegal. Religion has NO place in making laws!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• isn't there something in the constitution about state and church being separate?
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• thats what i always thought was that state and church was separate. and personally i belive that it doesnt matter what or orintation is god will love and accept you. and marriage is a bond that protects people that love eachother.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Any church that chooses to marry homosexual couples needs to go back and read their Bible, particularly their New Testaments.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• May20... there are other churches besides Christian ones.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Any church that chooses to marry homosexual couples needs to go back and read their Bible

About half of mainline Protestant pastors support gay marriage, and even more support other rights for gay families.  That's a whole lot of trained clergy you seem to think you are qualified to order around.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• a bit Christo-centric there, aren't you May? get a frakking grip, marriage is NOT the property of Christianity, or even of the Abrahamic religions.
    and yes, I can see that you display the EXACT type of arrogance that I'm addressing in my question. thank you, exhibit 1-A.
    autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• From what I can tell, these folks think that the definition of marriage can only be applied to those unions that their religious membership deems appropriate. Why does 1 group think they can dictate laws that are guaranteed for all? Why can't people just apply their rules to their marriage and be satisfied? No, they want to dictate for those they deem amoral. 1 poster even mentioned that she does not care what other faith based groups do. I guess she does not accept that many religious denominations have no problem with gay marriage. Bottom line, You follow Your faith and apply your rules to YOU only. If gay marriage is unacceptable to YOUR faith, then YOU should not engage in such relationships.

YOUR religious rules should have nothing to do with the legality of others' marriages or their right to partake in the exact same relationship that YOU enjoy.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with May except I will add the word "Christian". If some pastors decide to go against the Bible that is their choice. Personally, I have no objection to other churches solemnizing vows if they choose. I do have a problem with the way my church/faith is treated for choosing not too.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• so, special, no mixing of different cloths in your church? no marriage for the divorced? no eating of shrimp?
    autodidact

Comment by autodidact (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010