How many people in the world would actually be allowed to be married,

if all the religions had a say?

would your marriage be allowed? Or would someone, somewhere, have a good, valid religious reason why your marriage was not ok?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If ALL the religions had a say....
    No interfaith marriages (including inter-denominational, if you're a Methodist who married a Congregationalist, sorry, you're out)
    No interracial marriage
    No non-virgin marriage
    No 2nd marriage
    No poor people marrying - there MUST be a dowry paid to parents
    No marriage for love - marriages must be arranged
    No marriage for men under 21 (parental consent not an an option)
    No marriage for women under 18 (parental consent not an an option)
    No marriage for anyone with epilepsy (yes, really, this one is part of the Hindu Marriage Act in India)
    No marriage for anyone with a medical disorder preventing procreation
    No marriage by only a pastor, would also require a handfasting

Not sure how they're going to manage to have the wedding guests both gender segregated and have an orgy at the same time, but after the no's, nobody left to get married anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I doubt my marriage would be allowed. My husband and I are both atheists. Ours is a legal marriage, not a religious union.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• oh my gosh...I was a Congregationalist marrying a Baptist!! Oh the horror of it all. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Are you suggesting the churches not be able to decide who they marry?

No, she's asking you to consider how your life would be if Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Wiccans, Pagans, Reconstructionists, Buddhists, Native American shamans, Scientologists, and all the other religions I haven't room to list had as much say in your life as you want in the lives of the people who practice those religions. If your religious view on marriage should be law, why SHOULDN'T you be required to live by sharia law in respect of the Muslim sects who practice it? Not all Christians oppose gay marriage, not all Muslims practice sharia,but if your sect of Christianity is allowed to prevail on one issue, why can't another sect of another religion prevail on another?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Not a whole lot!

Answer by older at 1:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• bumped ya!

• I have no idea.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm realizing what a real pain the combination of some of those rules would be - All males must be virgins but cannot marry until they are 21...yeah, that's gonna happen! I'm sure the arranged marriages would be what wipes out most people, and combined with the current economy and the dowry rule - nobody getting married here for years, not that they'd want to. And by the time they could afford to offer themselves around for the highest bidder 5 years from now, there's that damn virgin rule again - even if they made it to 21, are they really going to make it to 26? The no 2nd marriages means the few who can afford to buy a spouse these days only get one shot at it - first one doesn't work out they can't negotiate a 2nd unless they kill them - that's not going to look good on their bid proposal. This would really be a mess!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I know, I didn't even get to half the ones I planned to look up - that's mainly just Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu laws right there. And the whole issue of ones that would be in direct conflict - some of those would never fly in a Wiccan ceremony, and once we get to the reconstructionists, the issue of who is owed the dowry comes up - if one insists the husband's family pays or it's an insult and one insists the bride's family pays or it's an insult, who wins?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, seeing as how religions already have a say...I would say a LOT. Are you suggesting the churches not be able to decide who they marry?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010