hysterical crying.

my 6 month old DS sometimes wakes up around 5am screaming and crying like he is in pain. I change his diaper meanwhile he is just hysterical. As soon as I give him his bottle he stops and just sucks his milk down.

is he just hungry? do you think thats why he is so hysterical? Im scared that something is hurting him because of they way he cries, but as soon as he gets the bottle he just calms down and stops.

Its so bizzare... most of the time he wakes up on his own around 8am and just lays there in his crib compltely calm and relaxed.

Any ideas why he reacts with the hysterical crying sometimes?? Sometimes I think he is just being impatient and cranky.

First time mom here, and sometimes its so hard to figure out what is bothering him. UGH im frustrated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably just waking because he's hungry and is then startled. Do you ever wake up feeling disoriented? Keep in mind that at 5 am it's still fairly dark. When you give him his bottle he is comforted by you and the bottle. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to have one ready so you can give it to him as soon as he wakes.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Does he do the same for other feedings? Has he just slept a long time before this feeding? I found when my boys started sleeping for longer stretches they would wake up starving!! If he calms down and is happy afterwards it sounds like he is just hungry. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My first response was giong to be GAS, but if he stops when you feed him, he is probably just impatient. Good luck.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I always wondered why farmers went out and milked their cows at 5 am. I thought I would have cows that slept until at least 8, what's up with 5 am. It turns out that's when cows and humans have the most milk for the day. Even if you try and change it, that's when there is the most milk.

Mothers that live a more traditional lifestyle and breastfeed and sleep with their baby often breastfeed at 5 am. The breasts are full, baby is hungry and one finds the other and usually it's a long sleepy feeding. Your baby may just be doing what comes naturally and waking at 5 am and saying where's the food! Unless the diaper is poopy or there is a rash you don't need to change the diaper first, jus bring on the food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• At 6 months old my daughter was breastfeeding several times throughout the night, so he is probably just hungry. Mention it to your pediatrician next appointment anyway.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010