I bought a butternut squash to use in a recipe for dinner tonight. Can I...

I bought a butternut squash to use in a recipe for dinner tonight. Normally I just cut it up and get out the seeds and then steam it and scoop it out. This is a new recipe. I peeled and cut up half of it for the recipe - and still have have left. Can I peel and dice up the half I have left and freeze it so I can use it later on or will that ruin it?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes you can.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It will not ruin it. You can freeze it cooked or uncooked. =) GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• In my opinion when I freeze a vegetable or fruit it ruins the flavor and texture. If I were you, I would find a different butternut squash recipe to use the other half. Maybe you can do butternut squash soup, or butternut squash ravioli, butternut squash rissotto. For me, freezing takes away the taste of vegetables. So I prefer to use fresh. :)
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'd cook it first before freezing. Popping it in the microwave for 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces, should work. I cover it and cook it.

In the future, to make it easier on you, what I do is to poke a few holes in the butternut squash with a knife, wrap in a paper towel, set it on a micro-safe plate, and cook about 10-15 minutes. It may not be totally done then, but it is much easier to cut into. Let it cool to a comfortable temperature, then cut open, scoop out the seeds, peel, and use as you like. I cut it up and put in a casserole, add a little butter and brown sugar, cover, and micro-cook until done.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i would just use it tomorrow.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yep
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010