Lets put it all together

For those who oppose the Muslim community center and those who oppose gay marriage - what other things do you think should be outlawed? Should Muslim marriages be invalid? Do you want restrictions on where Hindu temples, Pagan fellowships and Jewish Community centers are built in relationship to any crimes that may have occurred in the area? Are there perhaps other denominations of Christianity you don't like - do you want the Congregationalist and Anglican churches shut down since they perform gay wedding ceremonies? What else shouldn't be tolerated in the name of your faith? What laws do you want - outlaw interfaith marriage maybe? No insurance benefits for anyone in a non-Christian (the "right" kind of Christian) marriage?

Realize these are all conclusions drawn directly from the arguments presented against these two issues, direct one to one relationships.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't "like" the theory of the mosque being built there, either. It doesn't give me warm shivers up my spine. I will adamantly defend their right to build one there, as long as its with in the scope of the law (zoning, and such).

Why? Because MY freedom of religion is important to me. And in order to keep that, to keep the right to worship God as I see fit, I have to defend the rights of the Muslims to assemble peacefully, and the Pagans to gather, and any one else.

I don't have to like it. In fact, sometimes I down right don't.

Sometimes I remember my dad serving right after, and i think they are being heartless.

This isn't about being PC, or placating Muslims, or anything else. It's about me, and my rights. I don't have to like it. I have to defend it.
    Because people died to give us freedom of religion, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You know, this argument is never going to resolve itself. Let's just agree to disagree and let the chips fall where they may.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• First I don't know why it is so important for some to try and devalue the opinions of others. I think there are ulterior motives in this Imam insisting this mosque/community center be built so close to the towers site. He had a previous spot picked out so why change now? This Imam believes in Shiria law and I don't think it has a place anywhere much less America. It's demeaning to women for the most part. He also believes America is to blame for what happened and he believes America created Osama. That's all my opinion and you nor anyone else has a right to insinuate they are wrong which is just what this question does. As for that opinion and my opinion on gay marriage(which is I don't believe in it myself) they have absolutely nothing in common. Period. When I think of one argument I do not think of the other.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• See, what I find interesting, is there are so many people who I normally agree with on a very specific point - back your argument with facts, not emotion. With these two issues, facts have flown out the window, and it's all about emotion.

***
    I am only opposed to the Mosque located so close to Ground Zero--any other place would be fine by me! I am not opposed to gay marriage or rights.

The topic about the Mosque IS an emotional one...because I DID lose a close friend that day--an off-duty firefighter...the last to leave the tower before it collapsed, and the last of the firefighters remains to be found 5 months later.

I think it's fair to say that those of us who are personally invested in these issues are the ones who feel the most passionately about them. Sorry, but my opinion about the LOCATION of Mosque will never change.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• That's what scares me so much. I'm waiting for the day when I have to wear a head covering, while having to pray seven times a day toward Mecca, and having my marriage devalued because we aren't both the same denomination, and then being forced to sacrifice a goat or a sheep, while meditating several times a day, and having our sex habits regulated- no sex for me! Hubby's fixed! Plus, oral sex is out... that would suck..

And only one of my daughters could wed, because we certainly don't have enough money for dowries for all three, and which religion would get to decide the holy days? Hell, we'd be worshiping all day every day, if we had to enforce all the laws of all the religions. Plus, DH and I would fall apart, because all of our little arguments, well, I'd have to be a submissive wife, and he doesn't like that, anymore than I do. Our little spats... keep us together.

I just don't want to follow laws of a con't..
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Grasp at those straws.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i've obviously missed a lot of posts here in the last few days..but like pps have said, i see no correlation between the two 'arguments'. i could care less who gets married to who..
    my only tie to the mosque-topic is my american spirit of patriotism/brotherhood..us before them. no, i don't think an entire country/religion is to blame for 9/11, but it tugs at the hearts of those who were personally impacted to not want to have anything of remembrance near that site..so that's good enough for me.
    i'm from OKC and felt/experienced/knew the emotion behind the anger and sadness of the Murrah building bombing..if the 9/11survivors/families are that against the mosque being built in their city/near their site of 'death', i can't imagine being 'for' it. yes, it is an emotional outcry..not everything has scientific reasoning. this, IMO, is one of those things.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We could agree to disagree if bigots weren' trying to infringe on others rights. Religious or "lifestyle"

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• As far as gay marriage goes I've never expressed an opinion and don't intend to start now. As far as the mosque goes. Damn right my opinion is based on emotion. The fear I felt as I begged my mother to tell me my dad was home and not on one of those planes. He wasn't but was actually supposed to go to Boston. How many children made that same phone call and had no relief of their fears. The anger I felt when I saw the news and people dancing in the street in Iraq. The pride I felt watching congress sing God Bless America together. A rare show of complete unity. So yeah, it's pure, raw emotion and I won't apologize for it. It doesn't make me a bigot, racist or ignorant. It makes me human.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 7:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• NP WTF are you talking about? It was very coherent. It is not hard to comprehend why people are against it being built by ground zero. People have explained it to you in many of the other thousands of posts you have asked about it. You are blind if you don't think this will be used as a recruiting tool by Islamists. But it is a waste of breath to keep explaining it. You are usually pretty sensible but not in this area.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010