What do you do when a neighbors dog won't stop barking?

We've got a neighbor who lives in back of us.His dog is barking all day long.'ve called Animal Control and they did come out but did nothing because the dog has always got fresh food and water.What would you do next?

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 2:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pets

• Oh my goodness I USED to have this problem with my next door neighbors dogs. Let's just say it got really ugly before it got any better. It all started when they brought home two terriors. They would leave those little beasties outside for 14 hours a day or so. Usually from 5 am to 10 pm. No one was home there, but at my house I had a newborn and a toddler and their bedroom windows were right there where the dogs were standing and barking. First I tried calling them and leaving them polite messages (because they were never home or just in and out). Then I started leaving nasty messages. Then I called the police, but they can't do anything because the noise ordinance doesn't start until 10pm and they would take them in by then. Then I left a letter asking them to please get training for their dogs because they are disturbing the whole neighborhood. Anyways, it's been 5 years and we are just now being civil again.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• you can call the police, its a disturbance....
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Call the police.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• talk with your neighbor- we unfortunately are one of those people WITH a barking dog right now. We rescued one that has behavior/separation issues but also is not ready to be in a house yet. I am afraid he is driving our poor neighbor nuts! Anyhow I am thinking about buying a shock collar so we can use it remotely from our bedroom window (he only barks a lot at night.) This way we may be able to condition him not to bark for no reason. But your neighbor may be just as frustrated with their own dog so you may just want to talk with them. GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If it is at night then we call the police non emergency line. If it is during the day there is nothing we do.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If you feel comfortable, talk with your neighbor as calmly and as civilized as you can. Explain how the barking dog is disruptive to the neighborhood. It may be that they are unaware of the problem, or, as another mom here suggested, the dog may be having some separation anxiety. Maybe you can research and offer some suggestions. If nothing else, call your police department and find out what the city says about noise pollution and/or disturbing the peace. Maybe there is something the police department can do.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Try this product!! LOL

http://www.barkofftv.net/index2

I know it's a scam, but the commercial is funny nonetheless!! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I hinted around there was a dog show that could teach them how to stop the barking and he laughed and said he knew it was theiri fault for not stoping it. Dahhhhh. So they would put the dog out I'm not kidding for hours at a time, so not to bother their new baby. So it went on and after a year or so, I typed a note off the computer and aked her if they could be be courteous enough to the rest of the neighbors, and try to curb the barking. The barking dog, also annoys my baby as it trys to sleep and we're not not only 2 in the neighborhood. I did not sign it, and waited one night until it was dark and drove over, lights out as I got to her house, and left the note in their mail box. Mind you I was friendly with this couple, BUT, I also didn't have a baby so as to throw her off. It worked and she stopped piutting the dog out except for 10-15 minutes at a time, and then a few mos later moved.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• (cont) They FINALLY started making an effort to bring the dogs in after I left them the letter. Then they got rid of those two dogs and got like 6 more dogs, ugh. They bark but not as much as the original two. They do only let the dogs out now just to go to the bathroom, thank goodness. I have to say though, I was going freaking out of my mind with the original two. I had a baby and a toddler that could basically never sleep because those dogs barked non-stop all day long. My blood pressure was so high from the stress of it all back then.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Move. Seriously, as stated earlier, I don't tolerate any noise in my neighborhood. I like my quiet and my personal space. So, with that being said, what I have done in the past is while they are away, I would sneak over there and tape a big note to their door, telling them that this bothering you and many other neighbors and that they need to do something about it before that dog is accidently let loose. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010