How do I even begin to start running?

So I am out of shape. I have recovered from a serious back/pelvis injury but have gain 40lbs. I've been walking for some time now and have been pain free for a couple of months. I have never been a runner even when I was rather fit and worked out regulary. But now I think I am ready to take the plunge. I want to start running with a goal of doing a 5k Turkey Run on thanksgiving. Please advice how to train to make this an obtainable goal. I'd kind of like to keep this a secret since i have a family of exercise-aholics who have never had a serious injury until I am an certain I can do this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• there are good points from everyone here!
    walk before you run (you already are)
    running is very hard on the joints!
    swimming is awesome exercise!
    getting fitted for running shoes is important!

if it is the 5k that you really want to do then...
    start slow, add some jogging intervals into your walk. walk 3 minutes and jog one. if that is too much then lighten up, walk 5 minutes, and jog one. keep decreasing the walking time and increasing your jog time.

continue to listen to your body. any sign of pain at your injury site (or below) then stop. you want to be healthy, not a cripple : )
    i wish you lots of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I started by walking (and I was a good 100lbs overweight)..

I started walking a mile a day. Then 2 miles a day. Then 3miles a day. Then I started speeding up. And within months. I was running my miles.

It just took time to build up to being able to actually run 2-4 miles. But I have.

If someone is out of shape, doesn't exercise regularly and is overweight. The old adage "you have to walk before you can run" is very true. Starting right out the gate trying to run, puts someone at the risk of not only injury, but also of giving up their goal because they get to tired, too soar, or can't do it..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Couch-to-5K

That might help a bit.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Get good quality running shoes, especially with your injury history. I'd also recommend an aerobics class or some sport such as tennis to get you into over all condition- you don't want your leg muscles to be strong in only the front and back area, you need the muscles to be strong all over. So a conditioning and active exercise and also some stretching instruction. Stretching well will help to prevent injuries. Since you already walk, combine walking and running for a while. Walk 5 minutes, run 5 minutes, and so forth. Then walk 5, run 10, build up very gradually, do your stretches, don't forget to do overall conditioning exercises in addition. Swimming is a good conditioning exercise that might be good with your injury history. But usually the conditioning that is recommended is something closer to what you want to be conditioned for, in this case for running, aerobics, tennis, racquetball, like that.

Answer by Bmat at 3:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Running may not be a good idea. It can be hard on your body. Something low impact may be better. If you look on Craigslist or at thriftstores you can find a Gazelle for $30. Then you can be home with your kiddos too.

I'm 54 and I know people that ran when they are younger and are now facing knee surgery or joint replacement. I have feet and knee problems from walking.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Google Jeff Galloway's walk/run method-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I highly recommend the couch 2 5 k program on cool running.com. Running is an awesome sport and an amazing form of cardiovascular exercise. I run, cycle, and do yoga and I am about to add swimming to my exercise- but NOTHING compares to the serious sense of accomplishment that I get from a good run. It makes me feel strong. The feeling that you get when you are in the zone- well nothing compares to it- you feel like you could do ANYTHING.

There is a great running moms group on here with everthing from seasoned ultra runners to brand new runners doing the couch to 5 k. You should check us out.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 6:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I did the galloway method. I highly recommend it! It was an awesome way to start, push your limits w/o injury!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am a former gallowalker too! I started running using his training.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree swimming is great. I live in AZ and we have a pool and I am lucky to be able to exercise in the pool about 9 mo a year.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010