Bottle weaning

Is bottle weaning at age 1 a good idea?

How would you go about it?

I want to start the weaning process to a sippy cup at 11 months for my DD who is not 10 1/2 months, if anyone can give me some advice on how to go about it. DD already uses sippy cups (the straw ones) for water now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have found that cold turkey or only one at bed worked for both my kids.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 3:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Babies need water with meals and it can be in a sippy cup, cup with a straw, or just a cup. The AAP recommends no more than 4 oz of juice a day and it should be in an open cup. By 12 mo your baby should be a pro at drinking water from a cup. Your baby needs bottles of formula until 12 mo, 32 oz a day. At 12 mo you can wean from the bottles and formula and your baby needs no cow's milk to drink. All your baby/toddler needs to drink is water.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Didn't have alot of sippy cup choices when my son was a baby, nearly 17 years ago. But my I started my daughter on a sippy cup around 5 months, maybe even 4 months. She would get water out of the sippy cup. I didn't give my kids juice when they were babies. I had both my kids off the bottle no later than 14 months. They both started whole milk at 12 months, in a cup. I just did it cold turkey. But neither child had an attachment to their bottles
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I started a little watered down juice in the sippy at 7 months, then, at 10 months, I started substitiuting one sippy of formula for a bottle and upped it everyday, by 11.5 months, he had all formula, water and juice from a sippy. At 14 months, no more formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We didn't switch until about 14 months. Mine had problems getting any liquid out of the spill proof cups, and when we removed the spill proof part, she made a mess. We started out by giving her a water cup to play with. Once she mastered drinking from that, then we made the switch at meal times. She was very unhappy that first day, but was OK the next day.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I started my son on a sippy cup at about 5 months, so whenever we stopped using a bottle; we didnt have to also bring on a sippy cup. We stopped giving Aiden his bottles the day of his birthday and we stopped cold turkey. I was expecting it to be a big ole fuss fest every night, but he took it VERY well. He didn't cry at night or anything. I was so relieved, lol. Good luck!
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 5:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Put formula in the bottle, and water and cows milk in the sippy cup. As you start to introduce cow milk, put that in the sippy cup. Formula, and only formula, always goes into the bottle. When you are finished giving formula you are finished with the bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I just took them away. My son never had his formula anywhere but in the bottle, and never had anything else in his bottle. So at 12 months 2 days when the formula was gone, so were the bottles. I just didnt give him another one. He never said a word. I started giving cows milk in a cup in small increments at 11.5 months (and formula in the bottle still) so he could get his tummy prepared for the switch.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2010