csection or vbac?

SO i have the choice of a csection or a Vaginal birth after Csection. My previous pregnancy resulted in a emergency csection. i have a little over 30 days left in the pregnancy so my doctors need me to decide if i wanna have another c section (scheduled) or try a vaginal birth. However she explained to me that there are MANy risks in having a vaginal birth after a csection. WHat would u choose if you have previously had a c section?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 3:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first one my water broke @ 34wks, tried to get labor going with pit and cervadil, but my cervix wouldn't change. Then my temp started to go u and so did baby's heartrate indicating possible infection, so we did a c/s and had a great experience. My second one I left the door open for a VBAC, but ulitmately decided to c/s. I had contractions every 7-15 minutes around the clock from 33 wks all the way up to my due date. My cervix never changed. Had I progressed normally and my cervix would have gotten with the program I would have done a VBAC. But my second one was malpositioned (sort of diagonally under my hip bone) and had an EXTREMELY short umbilical cord that prevented him from coming down into the canal even with all those contractions. So we did a c/s with him too and it again was a wonderful experience. So if you think you want a VBAC, tell them. Give it chance. See if it will happen for you. Good luck!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The most c-sections you should have is 2 or maybe 3. If you want more children then go for VBAC. It's best if there has been at least 3 years between pregnancies fro VBAC, some doctors or hospitals require 2 years. If your pregnancies are close it may be safer to have a c-section.

I would want a VBAC. I would go to childbirth classes or at least watch childbirth class DVDs and read books. I would hire a Doula. I would have a homebirth if at all possible. It sounds like it would be safer to have a VBAC in a hospital but it turns out it is better to have one at home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would definately choose a VBAC. Why have surgery if you can avoid it? Just educate yourself and be mentally prepared in case things don't go according to plan.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would choose another c-section.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The only added risk in a VBAC (barring complications that make a vaginal birth risky regardless of past history) is a slightly increased risk of uterine rupture -- 0.7-1.5%, depending on where you look, and that includes everything from asymptomatic ruptures that heal on their own to those resulting in fetal death, which are very rare; and remember that rupture is possible even in first-time moms with no history of uterine surgery. The risks of a C-section are more numerous and higher, slightly moreso in an emergency versus scheduled. C-sections also increase risks of complications in future pregnancies, the more you have, the higher the risks. And recovery time is much shorter and easier with a vaginal birth, which makes a huge difference with another child to take care of.

I loved my VBAC and would choose that again in a heartbeat. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I choce Vbac, but it dident work for me, i still had to have a csection......they wanted to give me med tht will dialate my cervix and there was a higher chance of my uterus ruptureing so i went with another csection
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You can have 3 c-sections and I would chose a c-section because you may encounter issues with a VBAC
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You are soooooooooo lucky you are getting that option so easily from your dr.! ;) I am having problems with my dr., I want to do a vbac, and I doubt she'll do it. :( Whatever you decide to do, I wish you and your baby healthiness and happiness.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I had two c-sections and never regretted it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The pros and cons vary based on your situation, but in my case the risks of a VBAC were too high, I opted for a second c-section. I was much better prepared, the recovery was shorter, it was a less stressful experience all around. I'm not planning more pregnancies, but I would definitely have a c-section again.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010