Need a medical professional for this one, please.

I have the birth control implant, Implanon. Does anyone know how it affects your normal hormones? I know that it prevents me from ovulating, but the last few days I've been irritable, breaking out, and I had a spotty period (So essentially, I've been having PMS). So, my question is... Could I be ovulating anyway? I'm very worried about getting pregnant while on birth control. I know it's unlikely, but it does happen. How would I know if I'm pregnant, with my hormones being controled?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Health

• Found this for you: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/implanon_ad.htm PMS type symptoms are among the side effects listed.

I also looked at the implanon homepage, and it mentions that it prevents the ovary from releasing the egg but also changes cervical mucus so sperm won't reach the egg. Which begs the question...if the egg isn't being released, why do you need to keep sperm from reaching it? It also changes uterine linings.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• anything that effects whether you ovulate or not is in fact effecting your hormones. What that means normally is that it's tricking your body into already thinking it's pregnant.

best test would be one of the early pregnancy tests. or go to the doc for a blood test one.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• the whole idea behind hormonal bc was to make the body think it was already pregnant so no new eggs would be released. you are probably having hormonal reactions to the implant itself. check the side effects page with the prescription, or just call your doc. the office nurse i'm sure answers these questions daily.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2008