If a state passes a law/tax break or whatever that gives parents money per child to pay for school of their choice, should parents who homeschool also get the money?

Or should it be only if the parent sends the kids to a "regular" school? Should the government then be allowed to say what is being taught?

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 4:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yes. i think that a parent who home shcools should get it first.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree!
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 4:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• NO, I think that children in school only should get it...... If there home school that is by choice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• In Minnesota, homeschooling Moms get financial help with buying ther books,workbooks,etc. And they have to allow for testing done by the school system too---every year the kids take tests to show that they have progressed. I'm not sure if there is a fee for the testing. But, that seems reasonable to get help with their teaching materials.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It does cost money to home school - a parent has to be home, and therefore isn't working during the day, plus they're still paying for the notebooks and other necessities, and I'm not sure whether there's other fees or things to pay for, but I would think that parents who home school would still have expenses in regard to their children's education.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I believe that it should applie to all parents that have the best intentions for their child. Whether the children are homeschooled or their child is in public or private school. No matter what the childs interet should be the ultimate decision and that hould not be decided by our government.
    Sassysab28

Answer by Sassysab28 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• gerite, as a homeschooling mom, that's what I would be afraid of. Some people in my state of Oklahoma are trying to get this passed, where the government would give money instead of public school being free. If I had to have my kids tested by the state and told what I could and could not teach, I would want to just pass on the money, kwim? So in theory being given money to pay for curriculum sounds awesome, but on the other hand, I don't want to have to kiss their toes because they gave me money.
    Laura2U

Comment by Laura2U (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I believe the homschool parents should get it too. There is a lot of cost that can go into homeschooling.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

Comment by Laura2U (original poster
    *******
    ALL homeschooled kids have to take a test yearly and have a school counselor visit the home for talks about how they homeschool. There are standards to meet....doesn't have anything to do with whether or not theyge help with buying school materials. They DO have to meet certain standards of education....that IS a good thing.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• In my state (Oklahoma) I don't have to do anything. There are suggested subjects to be taught, but I don't have to prove that I teach them or even prove that my kids do school at all.
    Laura2U

Comment by Laura2U (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2010