Compromise

Why can't some people understand that when it comes to RIGHTS there is no compromise?

How would things be if we had compromised on the rights of blacks or women to vote, or on the rights of the slaves to be free? Why should people be forced to compromise what they are ENTITLED to, what SHOULD be granted to them?

Can't people understand that the idea of compromise, when it comes to rights, indicates getting less than what someone is entitled to, and is, in actuality, an insult?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP- I totally agree with your comment. I just wish some could for 1 moment empathize with folks with different beliefs. I understand and except that some think that marriage is a binding sacrament before God and their community. I am not denying that right to those with that belief. How come those with that belief can not accept and respect that everyone deserves those exact same rights? I AM NOT DENYING THE RELIGIOUS GROUP 1 DARN THING; NOT TREADING ON THEIR RIGHTS AT ALL- How come they can not do the same?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with you. The rights we have as Americans apply to every American equally (the only exceptions are for criminals who have to earn their full rights back). To limit someone elses rights is to allow your own rights to be limited.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• What people do not get is they can NOT exert their rights over another, hence why there needs to be a compromise. Why is it "ok" for one group to be allowed their rights while it is overcoming the rights of another? I do not now, nor will I EVER support homosexuality (of ANY form). That is MY RIGHT. I don't go and attack others who believe otherwise because it is THEIR right to believe as they choose (though sadly, upon arriving here at CafeMom, that seems to be the biggest thing, let's bash each other). I will NOT cow down to people trying to attack me because I believe differently, as is my RIGHT. I believe in HUMAN rights...if someone is hungry, or cold, or needs a loving kindness...that is my RIGHT as it is their RIGHT to be treated as a HUMAN BEING. But for homosexuality...seems their rights now are forced on people and those people are not allowed to believe otherwise. Nope, not in my country, not here in America.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 5:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't understand why it is so difficult for those supporting gay rights to also want to safeguard the rights of religious freedom.

If there is no question in your mind that no rights should be limited or up for grabs, than why is there such a complaint against securing the rights of churches as WELL as those for gays?

Why is it such a terrible thing to simply put it into the marriage law that churches have the right to only perform ceremonies or allow the use of their premises as they see fit? The churches that perform gay marriages are protected that way, and so are those who don't/won't are also. Everyone could get married the way they choose ~ but no one would be forced to cede their rights to accomodate others.

I agree that no one should get 'less than', but no one should have to give up anything or fight to keep their rights for someone else.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Do you mean my rights to practice my beliefs shouldn't be compromised (such as, I can't hand out flyers inviting people to a church event) or do you mean rights as in government programs (if I have food stamps I should be able to spend it all on candy if I want to)?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I get exactly what you mean & it's very well put.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Mary, what rights do you lose by homosexuals being allowed to LEGALLY marry? You do not lose the right to not approve. You do not lose the right to believe it is wrong. You lose no rights.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• the rights of churches as WELL as those for gays?
    _________________________
    What churches rights are being limited, and in what way? I mean other than the people flipping out about the mosques. That is the only religious rights I see getting trampled.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• But for homosexuality...seems their rights now are forced on people and those people are not allowed to believe otherwise. Nope, not in my country, not here in America.

How exactly does a couple getting married in California by a pastor willing to perform the ceremony impact you, your marriage, or your religion? That already happens now, it's just not legally binding - it is, however, church binding. They are already married in the eyes of god and you haven't been struck dead or forced to marry a woman. Why would that change if their wife was also allowed to visit them in the ICU when they're sick?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• How is gay marriage limiting any faith group's rights? How does gay marriage desecrate the rights of churches? No one is forcing churches to marry anyone-folks are just Assuming that it will progress to that level. Please give clear, concise, measurable examples of how gay marriage forces any faith group to GIVE UP one thing-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010