Uggghhh toddlers and uggghhh SO's!

My son is 17 mos old.

He climbs and gets into -anything he can-, -whenever he can-, -however he can-.. I get that this is normal tot behavior.. But I seriously need SO to take the tot proofing more seriously! He leaves open doors, cabinets, etc. with locks (unsafe stuff is up high or in basement) and then I have a huger mess on top of the huge mess my tot already made with anything else he can manage to rip apart/crush/break/spread everywhere. I do not imagine this will get better any time soon.. either!

I just needed to vent. I am sssooo over today..

Anyone have any miniature straight-jackets? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a friend who really wanted to invent chloroform baby wipes. As in, " Come here baby, let me wipe your face"... baby passes out wakes up hours later. Just a little ridiculous, but I understand where he was coming from!!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm having a crazy day. DS had a poop accident and smeared it all over his table, chair and the carpet. And then I hear that this is normal behavior for a 2 year old boy. GREAT I can't wait to experience what else is "normal" lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have read that destruction always comes before construction. It's part of the development of a child. What easier? Tearing the house down or putting it back together? My son is 23 months and he has just come out of that stage.
    You are right though it doesn't just go away, make some good rules on the important stuff. (Most irritating :) ) And let the other stuff go. You can only fight so many battles in a day.
    Another thing that can help is to find an outlet for all that destructive energy. Find things that he can tear apart or break that don't matter to you. Play doh is good to smear around. Sandbox and some old trucks from a garage sale can be good for throwing.
    I get my son to help with rinsing the dishes so he gets to play with the water. I just prepare myself for a mess and let him enjoy it, while being a little helpful. Hope you days get better.
    mamahertz

Answer by mamahertz at 4:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010