Cats and babies?

My cat use to leave my son alone. But now that he's starting to crawl .... the cat comes up to him a licks his forehead and then when he tries to touch her she lays on her back and tries to scratch him with her back claws.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pets

• She thinks he wants to play. Get her declawed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• are you sure hes got his claws out? most cats bat to play and only bring out the claws if they are threatened
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• He's showing his love, otherwise he would walk away from your son. Teach your ds to strach the cats belly, maybe that's what he wants.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My cat taught my son to roll over and crawl by taunting him. She'd swish her tail at him just out of reach... was funny. I'd just keep an eye on things and make sure the cat isn't given opportunity to strike.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You can get something called Soft Paws. Much more humane than declawing. I used them on our cat when my kids were babies.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• he wants to play! how cute, i wish my cat would have done that but instead we have an evil creature who hisses at anyone but my husband. cut the cats nails, or file them down to a round shape. declawing an indoor cat is mean
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 4:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• cats usually dont get the claws out unless they feel threatened or if they want to groom. She is most likely just getting comfortable and playing with him! Just keep an eye on both of them. Teach your son to be gentle. If your cat isnt mean natured she most likely won't hurt him intentionally!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think this is really sweet! I don't know much about cats, but like everyone else said, I don't think there's much to worry about.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Like everyone else has said I believe the cat just wants to play. Just watch and teach your son not to get rough with it. However your cat will let your son know what she will allow it to do and what she does not want done. It is part of growing up and learning.
    With the cats that we have when and if they wanted around them they would be. The cats would sleep with them.
    dragonbabe

Answer by dragonbabe at 5:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree the cat wants to play. Your child will be ok and protect himself. Unless the cat attacks the baby, let it play out on its own. Your child will learn cause and effect and so will the cat when the baby pulls its hair ot tail.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2010