my son is terrified of the doctor

I have Elmo Visits the doctor on dvd, which teaches kids not to be afraid. We dont have a doctor kit so I might try that. Role playing might help. He is 2 and during his infant months he underwent many blood tests because he had white stools and abnormal liver enzymes. Nothing was ever concluded ad all the poking and prodding probably caused him to be absolutely terrified. He doesnt even like sitting on the scale or getting his height measured for well visits. It's a pediatrician office but they dont exactly baby the patients explaining what the intruments are or making silly noises...I try to explain what the "stethoscope" is, and it seemed to help because I put a name to it...any other suggestions?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My youngest DD was the same way. Had a lot of ear infections and alergy problems as a baby and young child. She hated doctor and shots. She is grown now and has grown out of it. By the teen years she was ok with it all. I just use to make her go and get her shot and go to the doctor wheather she liked it or not. she had a fit every time.

Answer by louise2 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I bought a stethoscope and listened to my boys hearts and then I would let them listen to my heart. ( I wouldn't let them stick it in there ears but I held it outside the ears I don't want to damage there ears) They really liked it and they don't mind going to the doctor now. The one thing they dislike is shots and that wont change til there older.. I have taken them to my doctors appointment to so they can see that mommy's and daddy go too.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• What worked for my sons was having he doctor "exam" me first, then it was their turn. I stepped on the scale, then it was their turn, I had my heart listened to, then it was their turn, etc.

I also (still) only bring them for well checks and physicals during warm weather months when they are wearing short sleeves, shorts, and sandals...it's sooooo much easier to not have to wrestle with them to take clothing on and off....99% of the appointments can be done without removing any clothing. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Have you tried a different doctor? Explain tot he new doctor the situation, and then take him for the first visit and just have the doctor speak with him. LoriKeet had a great idea as well, showing your child that mommy getting an exam.

A good friend of mine has a son who had a lot of health issues the first year of his life. He would freak out if anyone came near him with a white coat on. She ended up going to an entirely new office, and the doctor was very patient with them. He didn't even wear his lab coat on the first few visits.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• This sounds exactly like my dd. The doc never performed any of the procedures, the nurses did but she was only scared of the doc. We switched from a pediatrician to a family practitioner when she was 2. The doc took over 30 minutes with her, letting her get comfortable. We've never had another problem since. Even when drawing blood. Dd is even curious about watching. Don't know if would work for you but a doc visit shouldnt be traumatic.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• my son was afriad of the doc to, he would scream bloody murder everythign the doctor would walk in he just finealy got over it not sure how
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Why don't you explain this to the nurses and doctors when you go in. They should go out of their way to make your child feel comfortable. If they don't seem to care, take your son (and your business) to a more child-friendly doctor's office.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• well I never told them, but I figured I would teach by example. They saw how calm my son got so I assumed they'd follow through. I wouldnt feel comfortable switching doctors since he's only 2....but...I have thought about it in the past anyways. The dr. is great, but she doesnt go with MY prefences. I am naturopathic, she respects that but doesnt follow through with any natural remedies. I had some trouble breastfeeding she NEVER encouraged me even though she "loved" how determined I was.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Aug. 16, 2010