Wondering about putting on a pull up at night. Yes? No?

I have 23 month old boy that has a very limited vocabulary. I have done the no diapers, intense three day potty training but my son keeps pooping during his nap. (I've held off his nap but he still won't poop.) And he is also peeing in the night a few times. I wake him up after he has gone down for the night to go pee again on the potty but he doesn't have any success. So I am on day 6 and he is soiling his sheets so much I don't know what to do? I

mamahertz

Asked by mamahertz at 4:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pull-up all the way. My daughter had regular panties on all day and than at night I used a pull-up. Now at the beginning she was soaked, but I was pretty strict when it came to no drinking three hours before bed. Than after about three weeks, she woke up around 3am and said mommy I have to go potty. I could have cried I was so happy.
    ugiz28

Answer by ugiz28 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My boy turned 3 this week and we've been having this exact fight for a year. Pull-ups at night!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Definitely a pull up at night. Children who successfully potty train during the day can't be expected to do it at night for at least 6 mo., maybe longer. I would continue wake him up before you go to bed so that he is in the habit of trying. Eventually he'll get it. Once you notice he is waking up dry in the morning for a few days, then you can try going without.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• 23 months old is too early to expect him to be trained, especially while sleeping.

You can try the pull ups but there are no guarantees. My kids saw no difference in a pull up vs. a diaper ... to them, wearing either meant it was OK to go in it vs. the toilet. I didn't start training them until one month before their 3rd birthdays ... it took 2 days and then they were trained day and night and never even had an accident.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I do have a question about you waking him up.....I have heard that works for some, but I'd feel so bad waking my son out of a sound sleep so he can go to the bathroom...what if he doesnt even have to go? What if he has trouble falling back asleep and it causes disruption in the sleep schedule?? Mind sharing your experience? I don't wake my son up....but if it isnt THAT bad, it might stop him from not waking up dry
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If he's vacating during sleep he's not ready to train yet.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Put a diaper/pull up back on him.

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I was nervous to wake him up too! I think it's a good habit. I know it doesn't work yet but alot of my friends have done it with thier children and it has worked well for him. I think sleep disturbances are ok. It's like anything else, the first couple of times it disturbs them but then they get used to it.
    We have a hard time getting a sitter because we have no family in town, so we need to take our son with us when we go to visit friends. This was hard because he always went to sleep at 7:30pm. So we started to bring a play pen and put him down at friends house. I thought it would never work to move him once he was asleep but we gave it a try anyways. The first three times, it didn't work. But from the 4th time on he has woke up, sat in the car for the drive home and gone right back to bed. So I think most of the time these kind of habits are learned and taught. So it's worth a try. Hope it works :)
    mamahertz

Comment by mamahertz (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• He's too young! Can you learn a foreign language in 3 days? Give it time! Yes! Put a pull up on him. Until he can recognize the reason you need him to go potty and how it feels when he needs to go, you won't be successful! He needs to be able to speak and tell you! Give it time. Look up Piaget's developmental progression on child development. Then maybe you can understand why he can't do it all at once, in a short period of time, and be happy and successful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• put the pull up on him for nights. my 4 year old still needs pull ups at night,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010