ewww, i cant get rid of them, lice

so my daughter has head lice. i have washed her hair with rid 4x and combed through and cleaned her hair each time, but i just cant get rid of them. i also washed EVERYTHING and sprayed what couldnt be washed. but they keep coming back! ugh please if u have any advice on how to get rid of them. school is fixing to start for us and i dont want her to miss because of this, thanks.

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Actually they passed a law that schools cant send them home for lice anymore..... but other than that lice also are becoming resistant to RID (it has been used enough years now they have built up resistance to it) anyhow the only way of completely getting rid of them is (if anyone had a boy would be to shave hair off outdoors) but for a girl would be to go through hair with a nit comb and get everything out day after day after day!!!!! GL momma!
    p.s. once she is lice free use a lice preventative shampoo (lice dont like tea tree shampoo) and leave in lice preventative conditioner.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 4:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• each time you expose lice to pesticides and they don't die, they get stronger, and harder to kill. You can try soaking the hair in olive oil, but you have to clean the entire home as well, including all furniture, etc.

We actually had to get a prescription that was over three hundred dollars to get rid of the suckers, and I had to cut off her hair, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Clean really well by her ears and back of her head that is were they start. Let the shampoo stay in a little longer and be sure to pick out what is left behind with your hand and not comb. Also put a cap on her head( shower cap) that will so help kill them..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• hotrodmomma - Which state do you live in? Its still a law in my state , my niece was sent home a week ago for it. If some other kid got lice at school, I would hope they would go home to get it cleaned.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Try soaking her hair in olive oil or mayo instead of the lice shampoo. Also, you may have to go through with your fingers for nit removal. The combs grab some, but not all. Any toys with hair (barbies, stuffed animals etc) need to be bagged and stored for at least 2 weeks. Boil hair brushes and combs, or get new ones.
    All her clothing probably needs to be washed.
    Floors vaccuumed and swept as much as possible.
    Couches and bedding needs to be cleaned (sprayed, which you said you did)

Is she in daycare? Or does she play around other kids a lot? If she is around someone else who is exposed to lice, put moose or gel in her hair. Lice don't like "dirty" hair (dirty as in styling products)

Just for maintence sake, buy a clean lice comb, and comb through her hair after every bath for at least 2 weeks. Longer if you wish.

Good luck!! I battled these things for quite some time as a child!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• And in my own personal experiance, shaving heads is not a cure all.
    I opted for this twice as a child because I didn't want to deal with the hours of my mom pulling my hair to remove the knits and I STILL got them suckers!
    You have to shave it short and keep it short for shaving heads to be effective. I believe shorter than 1/4 inch.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• @Claudiomom- I am in Iowa. I wish they did send them home- it is a more recent thing that got passed I guess(maybe its just by state though). Lice is going around my 2 DD's daycare/preschool and they cant send them home either (ya it creeps me out!) I am using a tea tree lice preventative products on my girls- and keeping fingers crossed!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• as one answered you have to clean everything. We had spent 3 years or so fighting these little varmits and yes schools do send them home at least around here. Finally what I did was gathered all the clothes up and washed them. Bagged all the stuffed animals and such and had stored them in the back of hubbys truck. ( we did not have alot of room to store them) He had a cap on it and it was winter. Must have froze the little buggers. I had finally went to the doctor for a prescription (that did not cost us $300 with insurance though) used that and have not had a problem since. Good luck
    dragonbabe

Answer by dragonbabe at 5:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• thank u everyone! these things just dont want to die! guess i am gonna have to subject my baby to the hair pulling everyday. i was doing it every other day. and man does she hate it. but i have to. i was thinking of trying the mayo thing. hadnt heard of olive oil but i will keep it in mind. think i'm gonna call dr and see what he says. might have to go with a prescription! thanks again for all the positive help :)
    teddybear2272

Comment by teddybear2272 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• A tip that helped us was to cover the couches and chairs with a sheet after you vacuum them. And change the sheet twice a day and vacuum each time. Also, have you been checked for lice, and any one else in the house? Everyone needs to be checked over everyday. Vacuum her bed and wash bedding everyday. Everyone in the house should also wear a hat with all of their hair tucked up all the time. That keeps it from spreading from person to person.
    It sucks but you have to be vigilant.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010