no more monitor?

my son is 6 months old now, and he has gone from okay sleeper to great sleeper to NOT sleeper. i have bipolar, so lack of sleep really doesn't do well for me, and it's definately showing its ugly face lately with an average of 5 hours a night for about 4 weeks now. (my husband is the worker, i'm stay-at-home, so he doesn't get up at night to help out.) anyway, my husband has suggested turning the monitor off at night and setting my alarm for a certain time to feed/burp/change my son. my aunt agrees, my mom doesn't... any ideas? is it a good age to start doing this? this is my first kiddo so i don't really know what i'm doing...i figured the monitor would get turned off eventually, i just didn't think it might be this soon... but i DEFINATELY need my sleep!!!!!! he wasn't even this bad as a newborn!!! :P

RachelleM1986

Asked by RachelleM1986 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think this mom was asking for some of mean comments coming in. I, for one, completely understand the mentality of taking care of the children because your husband works and no, I don't drive a horse and buggy. When our girls were young I took care of both of them if they got up in the night because my husband needed his rest to go to work and support us so I didn't have to work. As for turning off your moniter, as long as you can still hear the baby if he gets really upset. If he can fuss a little and then go back to sleep, let him - and don't feel like a bad mom for doing so. Also, does he nap during the day? If so, take a nap too. Try the cereal before bed to help him keep a full tummy longer and do what works best for you and your family, not what other people think you should do. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I chucked my son's monitor at 2 weeks ... the thing was a nuisance. Unless you live in a mansion and you're miles away from his room, I'm sure you'll hear him if he needs something.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You don't want ti ignore a 6 month old if they are waking at night. It sounds like you should have thought the whole child rearing process before you had kids. Your husband is dropping the ball. He has a responsibility to care for the child, I don't care if he has a job away from the home during the day. They are his kids, unless he is back from the horse an buggy days where the men don't help with the children. If I were you I'd think twice before having another child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• By turn the monitor off you mean ignore your baby's cries. What! Of course you shouldn't do that. You have only one baby to take care of you can learn to cope. It is much easier for you to learn to cope than it is realistic to expect a baby to learn to cope on it's own at night when it's hungry and needs held (being a normal baby).

I have a son with bipolar disorder and I know what the disease is like. If you can't take care of babies then don't have them. He isn't going to.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• turn the monitor off trust me your motherly instincts will kick in if he wakes you will wake too. also try letting him cry a little he needs to learn to self soothe. if after 5 mins of him crying and he hasnt stopped then get up. at 5 months he can also try cereal and feed that before bed with formula or breast milk that may help hold him better through the nite. you could also try him sleeping on his belly that was the only way i could get my first one to sleep all nite. or heres an old wise tale but i swear it works. lay him on the bed and turn him head over heels onto his belly one way. wait a couple days and if he still is waking try it the other way. ive been told that they have their days and nites mixed up. that worked with both my kids.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• your pediatrician should be more than willing to answer this question for you (they would know your child and you better than we would) Gl momma!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When I am having a terrible time sleeping and just can't handle it anymore, I turn the monitor way down. If the baby is really crying, I do wake up, sadly, so do his sister's.
    I still have a monitor in their room and they are 6,3, and 1. But I am pretty sure I'm overly anxious about it. LOL

I think the alarm thing sounds like a pretty decent idea and I agree that unless you live in a house that is either REALLY well soundproofed or huge, you will hear him if you really need to.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I never used one. I would wake up when I herd my kids crying.

Answer by louise2 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, both me & DH work so we both get up with the baby. I think your DH could be a little more helpful considering he knows your mental issues. It won't kill him to handle one feeding a night. Also, at 6 months, your baby is going through so much: teething, growth spurt, new milestones, eating solids. I don't think instituting a schedule in the middle of the night is really going to help. My DD is also 6 months old, and she went through about a 2 month period where she was sleeping awful at night. Just recently she got regulated again. In all honesty, I think it was a growth spurt. Oh, and I don't use a monitor at night since her room is right across the hall from mine. She "talks" in her sleep so the monitor got turned off very early b/c I was tired of going into her room only to find her sound asleep. If she wakes up and cries or starts playing, I have no problem hearing her.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would say you should worry more about why he isn't sleeping, than turning off the moniter. You might be setting an alarm, but how would you know he will be up and wanting at that time. You wouldn't want to wake up a sleeping baby. Good luck
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010