Can giving yourself an orgasim work to help progress labor... adult content

Or is it just the mans sperm that helps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it only gave me light cramping but it may. doesnt hurt to try
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i always wondered. let me know how that goes for you. i heard about this woman who did it during labor, i have NO IDEA how she reached the big O while having contractions. thats just crazy, but that sounds mad painful!i'd be terrified!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• that just sounds gross...during labor? ewwwwww
    PTBAAMom

Answer by PTBAAMom at 5:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I dont think she meant during labor...geez
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• The baby will come when it is ready, no matter what you do. As my doctor said, the apple can not be picked or will not fall from the tree until its ripe. I've heard all kinds of old wives tales... my grandmother told me to go for a boat ride and the motion of the water will bring on labor.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I think I did that. It's not the sperm, it's the release of hormones in your body. The night my son was born, I couldn't sleep, so I let my hand wander. About 2 hours later, contractions!!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it did give me some cramping && i was havin some contractions when i went in to get endused....my fiance and i did have sex the night before. so i would say it can get u started!
    keymel10

Answer by keymel10 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Orgasms cannot cause your cervix to dilate or efface. However, they can kick-start labor contractions when they occur in the late stages of pregnancy. This is because of the fact that orgasm can cause your body to release oxytocin, a hormone which causes labor contractions. So, if you are past your due date and sick of waiting for baby, speak with your health care provider about using this method to induce labor.

A man's sperm doesn't help speed up labor, but it helps it start! Semen has natural prostaglandins—-a hormone involved in the start of labor. It especially helps if you don’t get up right after sex, and elevate your hips to help the semen stay on the cervix. This will help to thin and dilate it.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 5:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• orgasm causes contractions but you have to work to keep them going. get up and walk after they start.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have read SAHM USAF answer before on medical pages and yes I have heard it helps. However I tried it with all 3 of my kids and it did NOT help. I had to have my labor induced with all of them. With my last I actually did have labor pains 3 minutes apart went into the birthing center was there for 6 hours and I never dilated or effaced anymore so they sent me home while still having pains. My midwife told me it all depends on how your particular body works. It was always fun to try though! :)
    angelsynn

Answer by angelsynn at 5:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010