If someone created a state

And that state was subject to religious rule, even allowing it to supersede federal laws, would you live there, provided it was your religion? If you did, would you willingly submit to rules that belong to another denomination of your religion that you don't personally agree with or would you expect all the other denominations to live by the rules of yours? (infant baptism vs adult, communion, sainthood, women as clergy, married clergy, who can marry, alcohol usage)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• no because states don't control religion .

The separation of church and state is permanent.

no anyway, and if this state was to do this, it would have to have all the congress vote it in first before state granted the permission.
    is this about a western state. Because of gay rights (question) you asked
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No, I would not live there. If I live in the area that became that state, I would move out of that area quickly. State and fedreal law is ok. But religious laws and rules. NO WAY!!!

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No. That sounds like it would strip away all my American-ness by trouncing upon my rights.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• are you kidding? mass chaos and anarchy would rule the day! when have you ever known 2 xtians to agree 100% on everything?
    no thanks, lady. besides, as a xtian i don't pledge allegiance to a religion, but to my God. all religions are man-made..as is government...so actually, it probably wouldn't turn out that different, at the end of the day. but still, no thanks!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Don't they already have places like that in the polygamist compounds in Arizona and Utah? We see hat happens there, the women are controlled and brainwashed and get married off while still children to sick older guys.
    Yeah, no thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• no way! i am christian and sometimes the "religion" is way too extreme! i agree with dullscissors religion is man-made.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No thanks! It's bad enough living in a male ruled government - can you imagine if everytime someone wanted to change or make a law all they would have to do is say that God told them to?! We have separation of church and state for a reason and thank goodness we do.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Golly, that sounds like fun! I hope it's one of those religions that enforces the no-mixed fabrics and no-adornment. It would be especially great if they would uphold the whole "women should not be seen or heard" sort of idea--ooh, ooh! and if they would ban alcohol . . .Wow! Awesome! Could we own slaves there, too? I mean. . .if we could really find a religion that combines the best of both testaments. . . I'd move there in a heartbeat! I'm all for repression, discrimination, and strict religious rule!  Oh. . .but you're just teasing me with that idea, aren't you.  Really, though, with the platform some of our politicians are using, that "Utopia" would be a reality if they could help it.  In my own state, I've heard two running in the recent primaries promise to "protect traditional marriage" and return our nation to it's "Judeo-Christian roots".  Yikes!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No thanks!  I prefer to live in a province.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It might be okay initially but in reality there would constantly be cleavages and splits. As people grow and change thier beliefes grow and change. Expecting all in the individuals in any community to grow and change in the exact same ways isn't realistic. Our constitution and secular laws can be interpreted in a variety of ways, just like religous laws, which is why americans can barely keep it together.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010