how many know what dwarte's galactosemia is?

problems with milk products

angelsynn

Asked by angelsynn at 5:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's a mild form of the genetic disease galactosemia. Babies can usually breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Sorry, I have never heard of it. I hope you can gather some information, though.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 4:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have thank you. I have learned that it is a genetic defect that one parent has to have one classic galactose gene and the other has to have one dwarte's gene. Some babies can still be breastfeed but unfortunately mine cannot. It means that the body does not process galactose, which is in lactose, completely and then it will go to the brain and cause some serious problems, like vision problem, mental problems, or even death. My daughter unfortunately cannot have any thing with galactose until she does her diet challege in oct. Most babies grow out of it within a year hopefully she will pass if not then we try again next june. Thank goodness for the test all babies must have before they go home or we would not have known until she was not thriving! I am very grateful to Children's Mercy in Kansas City, MO for explaining everything for us!
    angelsynn

Comment by angelsynn (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010