is there a better way to help my son go to the bathroom?

Ive tried cherrios and had him sit on the training toilet in the living room watching tv, had him sit in the bathroom on the toliet, ive tried sitting in the bathroom with him reading a book.

cntsmommy

Asked by cntsmommy at 5:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you use pull ups or regular underwear? If you are using pull ups, I would stop and buy him regular underwear.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• he has both
    cntsmommy

Comment by cntsmommy (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Why have him sit on the potty? Have him go to the potty when he has to go.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• did you try a rewards system? Like maybe stickers or other small things? Thats how we started!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• no i havent thought of tre rewards system thank you for that idea! The reason i have him sit on the toliet is because he never lets anyone know he has to go to the bathroom and when you ask him if he goes he always tells you no.
    cntsmommy

Comment by cntsmommy (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Let him go outside. I know it sounds animal like, but boys love being men and peeing outside.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i have also never thought of him of going outside and its a good thing we are out in the country. :)
    cntsmommy

Comment by cntsmommy (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I taught my son to aim in the toilet when I took one of those large rings off of that Fisher-Price stacking rings toy and put it in the toilet. He had so much fun aiming at that ring, that that was incentive enough for him to want to practice potty training!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You didn't say how old he is, maybe he's just not ready. I like the idea of aiming for the rings, though. Wish I'd known about that when my son was young. Do you think it would work for dh?
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• have tried watching a video? my daugther went on the potty after watching a potty video, try looking in your library for one!
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010