Need breastfeeding advice for baby not even a day old. Please help!

I just had my baby 12 hours ago, he has latched on to feed 3-4 times but it's literally only for a couple minutes and then he just kind of hangs out at the boob and falls asleep. My midwife had me repeatedly wake him a few hours after giving birth but he wouldn't feed that way either. I am wondering when I should start worrying about him not eating or if I should let him sleep and hope he eventually wants to latch on for a couple of minutes??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you had meds, he might still be druged a little. Let him speep unless he is losing weight. They will not let him go home if he isn't eating.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Not to worry, babies are born with extra fluids to keep them ok until milk comes in at 4 days or even a little longer. Some babies are sleepy at first. You don't want to give the baby any bottles and if you give formula it takes up to a month for the baby to recover.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Honestly I never woke up my babies. When they got hungry they ate. The smaller they are the less they need. I have never heard of a baby who would just go hungry. I know there are people that say you have to wake them up and you have to force them to eat. I never did and my kids are happy and healthy 8,10 and 12 years old. SO I think you will know whats right for you and your baby if you just trust your instincts.
    stweshjali

Answer by stweshjali at 5:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Put him tummy to your tummy- take his clothing off. Feed him every 2-3 hours- Within the next 24-48 hours he will need to have 6-8 wet diapers a day-the urine should be clear, light yellow. Fewer wet diapers and/or darker color urine indicates that he is not get enough fluid, but as others have said, you're only in the first 24 hours post delivery, so things should start to p/u. When is your first pedi appt? They will weigh him and check for jaundice (is he yellow?) Jaundice will make infants sleepy as well. Within the next few days he should start to wake up-then you will know if he's getting enough to eat, as his cries will tell you!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• your baby has the fat stores to be ok for about 36 hours if he doesnt latch on after that i would go to the hospital and ask for a bf consultant. you could give him a bottle of your worried. but if you plan on bf you shouldnt introduce a bottle,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Do not give him a bottle. That could cause nipple confusion, plus it is not needed. It is okay that he is feeding so little during the first few days. After he is rested up from the birth, he will be ready to go. :) Your colostrum is all that is needed right now.

The best thing to do is to absolutely let him linger after he is "done" with his meal. It is perfectly fine for him to fall asleep at the breast.

Don't worry about a thing. You will learn your baby's sleeping and eating habits soon enough, and you will know what he needs more then anyone else, even if you are a first time mom. Our instincts kick into overdrive at this point. :) You are doing great already!!

Here is my favorite nursing site : www.kellymom.com. It is the best!
    squish

Answer by squish at 6:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• First DO NOT give him a bottle or pacifier and then get him stripped down to the diaper and get him on our naked chest. If you had any type of meds during delivery he could very well be recovering from them still too. Let him fall asleep and sleep there for awhile. My daughter hardly fed at all in the first couple days and then nursed like crazy and I had an unmedicated birth. It is perfectly fine and normal for him to not be feeding much. It is a slightly different story if he is jaundice though (doesn't usually show up for a day or two) and then you should wake them every couple hours. That is what I did with my first. The jaundice makes them a little sleepier and nursing helps them clear the jaundice up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• that how my daughter was when i was in the hospital i just wake her up every 2-3 hours to feed her if she wouldn't stay up i let her sleep and tried it again a little later and when we got out i worried myself to death thinking she wasn't getting enough and her Dr's said she is getting enough and if it makes me feel bad don't go by the paper times that they wanted me to feed just to feed her when she shows signs of wanting milk and she been doing good

just remember if you want to stay breastfeeding her don't give up and be patient and good luck any questions you can message me ill try my best to answer my daughter is 3 weeks 3 days old so still pretty new
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have 3 kids and I strictly breast fed them all. I never woke them up to feed unless I was engorged or they were sick. Babies are very tired after birth, just like we are. I think it's normal to want to rest. Plus their tummies are only as big as their fist.
    lizpiz

Answer by lizpiz at 4:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010