Is my daughter normal?

She's 6 years old now. She started reading when she was only 2 1/2 and I was so happy she was that smart. She reads all the time now and her reading skills are amazing. She is also able to do math on a 4th grade level so even though she's 6 she's in 3rd grade in September instead of 1st. All that sounds great, but she's not acting like a normal 6yo. She doesn't like playing with her toys, it's really difficult for her to make friends and interact with children her age and she talks like a grown-up. I mean, I love that she's smart, but she's missing out on her childhood and I am really concerned about that. What do you think I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Asperger's

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Does she go to public school, or is she home-schooled? How often did she see other children as a baby? Has she never played with toys and is this a new thing? Maybe she just doesn't like the toys she has? Try taking her to the park and introduce her to some kids there? Do any of your friends have kids that you can introduce your daughter to? I'm not sure, I'd take her to her pediatrician and ask them for suggestions. I'm not sure any of us can really help without seeing her. Good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 6:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Try setting up play dates with local moms. Maybe take her to the toy isle and have her pick out what she will like to play with.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Is your daughter normal?
    No, she is not. She is of very high intelligence, but does not know how to play. This could be for a few reasons. Butterflyblue is correct, one reason could be aspergers. Another reason is that she is very much younger than her peers and smarter. This is NOT conducive to play.
    I would have her tested by a developmental psychologist to see what is going one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• She does sound a bit different from most 6 year olds. but if she's happy don't worry.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• What you are describing can be normal in kids that learn things when they are too young. She isn't going to fit in at school. I encourage you to homeschool. Don't let people tell you she won't get socialized. The socialization kids get in school isn't normal and usually isn't beneficial. Kids are supposed to be around and learn from people of all ages. Homeschooling works very well for kids that have large differences in abilities in different subject areas.

I homeschooled my 3 children. I'm not sure what you mean by missing out on childhood. Her childhood may not be like yours or what you had in mind for her. By homeschooling you can do your best to make it the best. Homeschooled kids do tend to talk like adults and act more mature.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If you want her to socialize more with kids her own age, you might try getting her into Girl Scouts, Campfire or 4-H depending on what is in your area. All of these will allow her to develop both leadership and teamwork skills while having fun.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i personally owuld keep her in 1st grade just for the social interaction. you know she is brilliant but social skills are noit something you can pass up.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Actually I was like that. I remember being 6 and at swim class, and watching all the kids jumping in and diving. I remember sitting on the edge, thinking, "What's the point of playing like that?" My teacher told my parents I was too smart for my own good, lol. I over-analyze. I don't really think anything is wrong with her. She'll find her way, and find friends she's comfortable with. You know what might possibly be a good idea? A church youth group. That's where I found my friends, I got to pick which age group I liked, which type of person I liked, etc. And it's a safe place. Ironically I always had younger friends.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 6:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with Cassie_m, if you can keep her in the class with her peers, do that. That way she doesn't stick out even more. No reason to rush her on through.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 6:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010