parents of older children....

do you remember when you could bust into the room growling and send the kids screaming and laughing as they ran away from you? i it being that easy to please the older ones, now it takes money for that new pair of shoes shes been dying for just for a simple smile! how sad!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes I remember the days with my oldest. I still have 3 younger ones that if I do something like that they still run out sreaming and laughing unlike my 10 year olds. They will sometimes but like you said they would rather have a new pair of shoes. It is just the process of growing up. My girls aren't going to fast so to me that is good. I want them to stay young.
    MomToAllGirls

Answer by MomToAllGirls at 2:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Mine isn't like that. He appreciates everything he has. He has had to work for what he is given, it is not handed to him on a silver platter.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• That's what happens when they grow up. I think at about 16-17 they start coming back around to being human again.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, sometimes I wish we had little ones again, but I found the perfect compromise - I teach preschool so I get to have fun with little ones and then send them home. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• This phase seems to come and go as a child grows to an adult. Tweens want stuff, high school and college kids want cars, and then they pick the most expensive college on the planet Earth. Mine are now done in college, one married, both have good careers and nice homes. I am again at an ebb tide, meaning that they are very rarely in touch with me. I do not know how long this will last. But, I expect that, like teething, it will pass and open up a new chapter of our relationships.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well done, bcauseimthemom!! I think kids nowadays have it much too easy! They don't learn the lesson of appreciation and take for granted that mom and/or dad will be there to replace whatever,or give them the money for what they want. I certainly wasn't raised to go to mom or dad for everything, I had to work for what I wanted, and so do my kids.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Not looking forward to those days.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010